Bad Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Gas?

2005 FX4 Single cab - 5.4L

I had an 1/8 tank of gas, so I filled up and drove about 5 to 10 miles down the road. My truck died at this point at roughly 50 mph, so I pulled into a parking lot. The truck immediately cranked back up, but my engine light stayed on. I went to Autozone to get the codes read, (their employee with the code reader tried to read the code, but kept getting a no-input error. He said he sees this alot with the 2005 and up Fords). So I put some HEET in the gas thinking it is bad gas. The light goes off after 2 days - roughly 10 starts on the engine.

Today, I fill up beginning with 1/8 of a tank and my truck dies 10 miles down the road. It cranks back up and now the engine light is back on. Fuel Pump? Fuel filter? has not been changed by me - bought truck used (it has 65,000 miles on it now). Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not a common problem, he probably just didnt know what to tell you. So it only does it when you fill up after having 1/8th tank?

Old 01-14-2007, 09:35 PM
Yeah, so far. I was thinking fuel filter or fuel pump, seems to make sense to me. I have to go out of town tomorrow, so I am thinking about stopping at another Autozone and seeing if they can read it. The truck cranks right back up after it dies, and doesn't have any issues with stalling or stuttering.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like there may be some contaminants in the fuel filter. When it stops up the orifice in the filter, the motor dies. The contaminants settle and you're able to start the motor again until they clog up the opening again.

This sort of problem is more pronounced in EFI than in a carbureted system due to the much higher fuel pressure in EFI.

Good luck.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:51 PM
I believe they can't read the codes due to the fact that thier reader is not up to date for your truck (Read it here)

Your not fueling it with the engine running are you?

Old 01-15-2007, 05:52 PM
I will change the fuel filter and update as needed. Some nasty weather that we are having here in Houston, so may be a weekend thing.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:54 PM
Engine is not running when fueling. I did however, by accident put premium in it about 8 tanks back. That should not have done anything, right?

Old 01-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
premium shouldnt cause any problems.

i know this is a far shot... 00 f250 7.3L had a similar problem... crank sensor would cut out and the engine would stall out. not familiar with the 04+'s tho.

otherwise, fuel delievery problem like the others stated.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by TheBeav
Engine is not running when fueling. I did however, by accident put premium in it about 8 tanks back. That should not have done anything, right?

Don't worry about the engine running when filling it up. Premium fuel has zero to do with it too. Both would have zero to do with the truck stalling/dying miles up the road. Change the filter and you should be fine.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:19 AM
On the contrary, running the engine while fueling will cause problems. Remember this is a modern computerized/pressurized engine. Maybe not the problem he is having. I was just searching for answers and/or possible solutions.

The fuel filter might be the problem but I some how I doubt it. We really need him to get his codes read so we can put this one to rest.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:18 AM
Along with replacing the fuel filter throw a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the tank and try to not let your tank get to 1/8 before filling up. Try filling up when you get to 1/4 tank instead in the future...

-Brian

Old 01-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
theres a good chance that fuel filter is the original seeing it has 65k.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:22 PM
My engine light has already gone off (after 4 times total starting it after the problem occured). I assume that I cannot have the codes read being that the computer has reset already. I will change the filter and see what that does. How difficult is this? The only reason I ask is because I have never had a Ford (I am a chevy crossover), and have limited research abilities/internet privileges at my current location (I am on a jobsite, going through their proxy).

Old 01-16-2007, 01:12 PM
Very easy to change. Do a search to get the specifics. here. Just need the connector releases(forgot the name) . There about $2.50. Sometimes the connectors can be a bear. Don't give up. Sometimes they're a snap.
bullseye670..................

Old 01-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by hcmq
On the contrary, running the engine while fueling will cause problems. Remember this is a modern computerized/pressurized engine. Maybe not the problem he is having. I was just searching for answers and/or possible solutions.

The fuel filter might be the problem but I some how I doubt it. We really need him to get his codes read so we can put this one to rest.

Please explain the problems that filling up while running will cause, especially in a "modern computerized/pressurized" engine. There is no sensor in the fuel tank which monitors anything other than level, and that's a simple mechanical float. The only pressurized portion of the fuel system is between the output of the tank and the injectors. The return line is not under pressure; hence, no pressure in the fuel tank.

Rarely do I shut off the motor to any vehicle I own, be it the '06 Lariat, the '00 Neon, or my nearly 600hp EFI '76 Mustang. Never had a single "problem" which could be attributed to filling up while running. Please explain the possible problems which could be caused by this.

PS: From experience I can MOST ASSUREDLY SAY that his problem may in fact be due to the fuel filter, especially given the number of miles and the suspicion that it has never been replaced. When I installed the Mass Flow system on my Mustang, the pre-filter was getting clogged from debris in my fuel tank. This in turn was causing the fuel pump to cavitate which caused the motor to stall. Once the debris settled away from the prefilter it would start right back up. The solution was a new fuel tank in my case.

Quick Reply: Bad Gas?