runs like NEW!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 12:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
runs like NEW!

For a while my truck has been runnin kind of sluggish. I decided to take the TB off today and give it a good cleanin. What I didn't realize was how BAD it needed it. My egr ports were completely clogged with carbon, I literally had to get a screwdriver and chizzle it out. The rest of the TB was pretty bad as well. After I cleaned it and put it all back together, I went for a test drive and it hauls....For those of you with higher mileage on your trucks, if you haven't done this yet I highly recommend it. You can find a how-to article on fordf150.net but Im sure if you search on this site someone has posted it. Just had to share my excitement with some people who would appreciate it more than my G/f does

Old 01-14-2007, 10:48 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by SlammaJamma
Just had to share my excitement with some people who would appreciate it more than my G/f does
Glad to hear its running so well. might be a good time to also throw some sea foam in the gas to clean the injectors.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:59 PM
I was told seafoam in tank will clog fuelfilter is that true?

Old 01-14-2007, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by SlammaJamma
For a while my truck has been runnin kind of sluggish. I decided to take the TB off today and give it a good cleanin. What I didn't realize was how BAD it needed it. My egr ports were completely clogged with carbon, I literally had to get a screwdriver and chizzle it out. The rest of the TB was pretty bad as well. After I cleaned it and put it all back together, I went for a test drive and it hauls....For those of you with higher mileage on your trucks, if you haven't done this yet I highly recommend it. You can find a how-to article on fordf150.net but Im sure if you search on this site someone has posted it. Just had to share my excitement with some people who would appreciate it more than my G/f does
What type of cleaner did you use? Sounds like a project I need to take on.

About how long for the entire process?

Old 01-14-2007, 08:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Narvous
It really depends whats in your tank - It could. - If you look up "Seafoam"lots of info on it. I don't use it now , but have in the past..I use there "Deep-Creep" product for the IAC - works well..

Last edited by jbrew; 01-14-2007 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 00Ford4X4
What type of cleaner did you use? Sounds like a project I need to take on.

About how long for the entire process?

Mines Polished now . but I still pull it every winter , mostly to clean the IAC . A Clean TB and elbow with all those little ports inside make a big diff in performance and milage. That goes for the MAF and O2's as well..

How long , depends how dirty and how well you clean it, but to simply pull and reinstall - 1/2 hr tops..

Last edited by jbrew; 01-14-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Narvous
I suppose it could if your fuel tank was really gunked up. But then I'd think that would apply to any fuel system cleaner.

I ran Seafoam through my truck that had around 198,000 at the time. It didn't cause any problems, though I did change the Fuel Filter about 2 weeks later as part of a annual service anyway. It's not like changing a FF is a big deal, OK it can be a PIA.

Doug

Old 01-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by DDan1967
I suppose it could if your fuel tank was really gunked up. But then I'd think that would apply to any fuel system cleaner.

I ran Seafoam through my truck that had around 198,000 at the time. It didn't cause any problems, though I did change the Fuel Filter about 2 weeks later as part of a annual service anyway. It's not like changing a FF is a big deal, OK it can be a PIA.

Doug
ageed, if you tank has alot of gunt then maybe. But then again its just fixing a problem

Old 01-15-2007, 03:22 AM
It took me about 3 hours mainly because it was my first time doing it. Plus my ports were completely packed, like I said I had to chizzle them out lol. If I did it regularly it wouldn't take more than an hour. Just used some throttle body cleaner from auto-zone.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:39 AM
What mileage should you check this at? I've got a 2003 with 65,000.

FishX

Old 01-15-2007, 12:13 PM
I had my Jeep dealership insist the TB needed to be cleaned at 40,000k - an 05 model. I didn't disagree but it probably was a make-work.

65k miles is probably not an unreasonable time to check it, I suppose driving conditions and style of driving - eg lots of slow city mileage will make it dirtier, highway miles cleaner, type of gas, etc all contribute. Why not pull it and see, it'll give you a better idea for next time. If it's pristine, you can probably leave it longer.

As for clogging the fuel filter, as others say, depends on what's in the tank and how old the vehicle is. Plan on changing the fuel filter after the Seafoam treatment, it makes sense.

I have yet to do my own tb - btw what's the scoop on seals/gaskets, some people are recommending not to use them due to leakage?? Suggestion is a permatex form-a-gasket type of thing as I understand it. In the past, I've only ever used such products in conjunction with a gasket, but would consider trying it.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:41 AM
I was inspired by this post and told my mechanic to clean the TB -- to manually remove it and clean it. He did that plus the 3M cleaning kit, whatever the hell it is (he showed me it) and the truck does seem to run a lot smoother. I don't know if I get the mileage increase from my current 10MPG but at least the truck runs smoother. I hope it was worth the 80 dollars I paid for it. The mechanic, incidentally, later said that he undercharged me and he should've charged me 140 for that but I said that hell, we had our contract and it says 80 and he said I don't wanna lose money working on your truck so come get your truck and get out of here... odd, huh.. so I took my truck and got out of there.

But it does run pretty smoothly now, and I think better overall -- hopefully it isn't just my imagination.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:13 AM
dam son! keep on trucking 1

Originally Posted by Fordgirl18
I was inspired by this post and told my mechanic to clean the TB -- to manually remove it and clean it. He did that plus the 3M cleaning kit, whatever the hell it is (he showed me it) and the truck does seem to run a lot smoother. I don't know if I get the mileage increase from my current 10MPG but at least the truck runs smoother. I hope it was worth the 80 dollars I paid for it. The mechanic, incidentally, later said that he undercharged me and he should've charged me 140 for that but I said that hell, we had our contract and it says 80 and he said I don't wanna lose money working on your truck so come get your truck and get out of here... odd, huh.. so I took my truck and got out of there.

But it does run pretty smoothly now, and I think better overall -- hopefully it isn't just my imagination.

Quick Reply: runs like NEW!