Long Crank time? Fuel pressure/IAC??

Old 01-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Long Crank time? Fuel pressure/IAC??

Hey guys-

My 01 5.4L with 95,000 on it is having some trouble on startup. Pretty much anytime I go to start the truck (even if its only sat for 10 minutes) it takes an extra second or two to start up.

My first thought was a bad fuel pump/check valve and the fuel pressure was bleeding off. To check for sure, I would cycle the key 2-3 times before cranking the engine over, surprisingly enough, this did not seem to help.

What I did notice however, was that every couple of start ups, the truck starts with a very low idle. On a normal startup, the truck would rev quickly to say 1500rpm and if it was cold, it would drop to approximately 1100 for a minute or two and then down to its normal idle 900 rpm or so. Lately however it would do an extended crank (by extended I mean about double or tripple the normal cranking time, not like 10 seconds or anything!) and would then just start very lightly at about 7-800 rpm and then level out at the normal 9-950 idle.

I am thinking then that this could be an IAC problem, perhaps its sticking some, does that make sense to yall? Is there anything else I may be missing?
Before I go and pay money to have a fuel pressure check done, I'd like to try anthing I can do myself first.

Where does a guy go to find pipe cleaners? I figure If I am going to pull the IAC I'll probably pull the whole TB and clean it out real well!

Thanks in advance for any ideas

Josh

Old 01-12-2007, 03:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when was the last time fuel filter was changed?? if it started up normal and then idle went crazy then id suspect i.a.c valve. u can find pipe cleaners at any hobby store.

Last edited by keith97xlt; 01-12-2007 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duherrrr, I didn't even consider the fuel filter! The truck has felt kind of sluggish on accelleration so perhaps its restricting flow some. Add that to the list!

THanks

Josh

Old 01-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol, like the old time mechanics always tell me, check the basics first. 9 out of 10 times its small problem like that. i would still clean the i.a.c.valve though. i had a crazy idle also.took ot off sprayed a little carb cleaner ,used a q-tip, theu it back on she idles great now.

Last edited by keith97xlt; 01-12-2007 at 04:48 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Long Crank time? Fuel pressure/IAC??