Replacing a 1997 4.6L with a 2004 4.6L

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing a 1997 4.6L with a 2004 4.6L

I recently completed the installation of a 4.6L PI head engine that came from a 2004 F150 New Body Style into my 1997 F150 that originally had a 4.6.

I know that the install of PI engines in non PI trucks and COP engines into preCOP trucks has been addressed in other threads. But I the ’04 had additional changes that made this install a little more of a adventure than I’d originally thought.

First let me apologize for the nearly total lack of pictures. I had intended to take many pictures for this, but like so many things. Once I got started I got tunnel vision on what I was doing and the side ideas get lost.

But here are a few I did get in the beginning of the project.

Some pictures of the 2004 Engine.

These were all taken after I’d already removed the fuel rail and injectors.

Note the location of the heater nipple and also the small nipple behind the alternator.

The small nipple is threaded in and my ’97 sensor installed with out a problem. The large nipple / tube was removed at a machine shop and the whole threaded for my other ’97 sensor.

What can’t be seen but was also done, because on the ’97 the heater nipple is at the rear of the head on the intake was that the machine shop removed the old nipple / tube from my ’97 intake and using installed it at rear location. Total Cost $120

As you can see all the various EGR vacuum hoses and electrical have been combined onto the EGR valve; also the EGR down tube is different from the ’97.

Here you can see that the Throttle body is different as the ’04 has an electronically controlled throttle.

Also the IAC has been done away with, altogether. Oh and the large hole in the back is, I assume for the PCV hose.

Here are two of the 1997 with 214,000 miles on it.

It looks pretty clean through out the internals of the engine. I think good maintenance and synthetic lubricants can be given credit for this.

Last edited by DDan1967; 01-10-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Continued

I know it is a little difficult to see, but can you see how far out the Auto Tensioner is? Again looking pretty clean in there.

Ok let’s get started. I won’t go into the entire process but just what was specific to converting the 2004 engine to install in my 1997 truck and why.

I would assume that most of this would apply to trucks from ’97 thru 2003, but I’m not 100% on that.

Wiring and Electrical

As I’m sure you already know the easiest way to run a newer model engine in an older truck is to reuse your wiring harness so that your computer won’t have any problems.

So it used my 1997 engine wiring harness and did the following to make everything work.

I reused or replaced most of the sensors with ones for a 1997. The exceptions being that I used the following sensors from the 2004 engine; the Cam Shaft and Crank Shaft Position Sensors, and the Knock Sensor.

I had to use the 2004 Knock Sensor because the hole that it screws into is smaller on the 2004 block than on the 1997. So I had to install the 1997 Connector onto the 2004 Sensor. On the 1997 the wires are Black and White, but on the 2004 they are Brown and White. After consulting wiring diagrams for 1997 and 2004 I determined that white went to white and black went to brown. If memory serves me White on both years is the HOT and the Black / Brown is the Ground. But I’ve misplaced my note on that. The important thing is that it worked for me and I’ve no Error Codes.

Also the 1997 had a Intake Tuning Valve in the Intake Lower Plenum that was done away with some time between ’97 and ’04. So I simply tied it out of the way and plugged it in, to avoid any Computer Error Codes. I read one post that said it wouldn’t cause an Error if it was not plugged in and another post that said it would. I’ll try unplugging it next week and see if it does cause and error or not.

Ignition System (Would not apply to 1999 and later vehicles with COPs)

As the 1997 (and 1998) have Coil Packs and Spark Plug Wires I removed the COPs, installed Iridium Spark Plugs and Accel Performance Wires.

I also had to reuse the engines Front / Timing Cover from my 1997. Though not really so I could mount the Coil Packs, as it is possible to get around that by replacing one bolt with a stud and a spacer. The reason I ended up switching the cover is because the Power Steering Pump is mounted higher on the 2004 and two of the bolts go into the cover.

Fuel System

I reused my old Fuel Injectors and Fuel Rail as the 2004 injectors have a different electrical connector and the ’04 fuel rail didn’t have a fuel return like my ’97 does. I understand that Ford Motor Sports recently came out with adaptors that would let me use the new injectors with my old wiring harness. But they were not yet available when I was putting everything together. But I’ll hold onto the injectors as I may be able to use them in the future.

Last edited by DDan1967; 03-05-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:42 PM
Continued

Valve Covers

The Covers are both different the left cover though different can be used with no other changes; But the Right Cover has a different PCV valve and it installs by twisting in the cover and I couldn’t find a PCV that would fit the cover and had a 3/8 OD nipple for the existing PCV hose. So unless you do what I ended up doing you will have to reuse your old Right Valve Cover.

Because my existing PCV hose / tube cracked when I was removing it, I elected to just use the ’04 Valve cover. The PCV valve has a ¾’ nipple and the TB Elbow PCV nipple is 3/8”. So I simply used 2 reducers between the PCV and the Elbow.

Cooling and Temperature Sensors (Intake Manifold Modifications)

As the 2004 has PI heads and my ’97 did not, I had to use the ’04 Upper and Lower Intake. This required some modifications to the ’04 Upper Intake. I had the Heater Nipple in front removed and the whole threaded for a Temp Sensor.

I also had to have a Heater Nipple installed in the back of the Upper Intake where it was on the ’97.

I had these done at a local machine shop for approx $120 total. I did this so I could reuse all my existing temp sensors.

What I could have done is the following. Extend my heater hose to the front nipple, remove the small nipple in the front and install the Computer Temp Unit there and either done away with my Temp Gauge Sending Unit or placed it else ware and extended my wiring harness to it.

Intake Manifold

Of note is that at this time Fel-Pro does not have the correct Lower Intake Gasket for the 2004 engine.

The Factory Gasket is on the Bottom and the Fel-Pro is on top. As you can see the Factory Gasket has a larger bolt whole and does not have the metal boss in the gasket. Reason being that on the 2004 the threaded inserts extend up from the Lower Intake and the Gasket sits down on them.

So I used a Factory Gasket.

Throttle Body

As the TB and TB Elbow have some significant differences I had to use the 1997 TB Elbow and TB. I actually used a BBK 75mm Performance TB.

Exhaust System

You need to use the new Exhaust Manifold Headers as they are different than the NonPI 1997 headers. I went with after market performance shorty headers.

Miscellaneous

I had to reuse the 1997 Oil Pan, because the 2004 oil pan is a little deeper and the oil plug in located at the back instead of the side of the pan. I didn’t figure this out until after I’d set the engine in and saw that the Drain Plug was against a Frame Cross-Over. I don’t know if non-4x4’s have this cross-over so a 2wd might be able to reuse the 2004 Oil pan.

Also because I reused the 1997 Oil Pan I also had to use my 1997 Engine Dip Stick as the 2004 is longer, due to the deeper pan.

Performance Overview

Some of this I’ve already mentioned previously. But I wanted to list all the “performance” and other Upgrades I did while doing this.

Troyer Underdrive Pulley Set - transferred from ’97 engine
Pace Performance Shorty Headers, Ceramic Coated
BBK Performance 75mm Throttle Body
Troyer Ingestion Upgrade (Iridium Spark Plugs, Accel Performance Spark Plug Wires and MSD High Output Coil Packs)
AMSoil Duel Remote Bypass Filtration System with PreOiler

Wrap Up

Well that is everything that had to be changed or modified. The engine is now running well with no Error Codes. After it runs thru two tanks of gas – so it the computer can learn the new engine – I’ll post how everything is going.

I hope that this can be of use to someone.

Doug

Last edited by DDan1967; 01-10-2007 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:54 PM
I have the following now "Extra" parts that came of of the 2004 Engine. I'm sure that some of these could be used on some '99 and up trucks, but I haven't researched to make sure.

Coil On Plugs

Alternator

Idler Pulleys (2 each smooth and 1 grooved (6 grooves))

Belt Tentioner

Water Pump Pulley

Engine Dampner (6 groove)

A/C Cluth & Pulley Assembly (6 groove)

EGR Tube

Thottle Body, TB Elbow, EGR Valve and Throttle Possition Sensor (Complete Bolt On)

1997 Engine Oil Fill Cap

If anyone could use any of these let me know. I'll be placing them on ebay as soon as I have the time.

P.S. The engine these all came off of had only 1000 miles, it was from a Ford Test Vehicle.

Doug

Last edited by DDan1967; 03-02-2007 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:34 AM
hey, just curious what happened after the 2 full tanks, any changes needed or all is clear??

Old 03-02-2007, 08:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well thats pretty neat, i thought the 04's would be a problem with the fact of the electronic throttle.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Crap!! First time I seen this !! Well, you have any parts left you want to get rid of - or maybe I bought them off you already on ebay lol - Idunno?

LOL, well if you anything left I'm interested - I just bought a complete TB w all sensors and vac lines attached - should be here today , was that yours?

$45.56 was the price . Was that yours..??

Old 03-02-2007, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Crap!! First time I seen this !! Well, you have any parts left you want to get rid of - or maybe I bought them off you already on ebay lol - Idunno?

LOL, well if you anything left I'm interested - I just bought a complete TB w all sensors and vac lines attached - should be here today , was that yours?

$45.56 was the price . Was that yours..??
Unfortunatly for me, no it wasn't mine you purchased. I've been kind of lazy getting stuff onto ebay. At first I was just too busy working out extra stuff I'd done on the truck and then work really took off and occupied my time.

Anyway, yes I have everything still.

Plus now also a 6 groove AC Clutch assembly

Old 03-02-2007, 04:57 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by DDan1967
Unfortunatly for me, no it wasn't mine you purchased. I've been kind of lazy getting stuff onto ebay. At first I was just too busy working out extra stuff I'd done on the truck and then work really took off and occupied my time.

Anyway, yes I have everything still.

Plus now also a 6 groove AC Clutch assembly

Great - if you send me what you want for the stuff - maybe a package deal iddunno - or i'll make past comparisons wit the same items you have for sale to ones I purchased in the past to be fair to us both and you won't have any of those eBay sellers fee's , mann they use to soak me good when I was selling 2 years ago..- my email -

fmcbrew@mac.com

Old 03-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great post. I've thought about the same thing when the time comes.

What failed on your original engine?

How does it drive? Do you notice power and mileage over the non-PI engine?

What did you plug the intake tuning valve into?

Thanks

Old 03-05-2007, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Bent6
What failed on your original engine?

How does it drive? Do you notice power and mileage over the non-PI engine?

What did you plug the intake tuning valve into?

Thanks
The old engine was still running good, I just came across the '04 engine at a price I couldn't pass up. Since the old engine wasn't needed as a core, it was striped for scap. Over all internally it looked really good. 6 of 8 cyclinders still had the crosshatching, the other two had some minor scuffing.

It drives GREAT, there is definatly is more power over the 214,000 mile non-PI engine. I definatly have a much more responsive throttle, though I'm sure the Volat Intake, BBK 75mm Throttle Body and Shorty Headers, that I installed with the new engine, have a little to do with it.

Mileage, is averaging a little worse than I was getting, I'm getting about 14 mpg city. I think it has mostly to do with me enjoying the oomff a little to much, on the in town driving. On the highway it seems to be about the same, 16ish mpg. Though I think when I finally get around to having Troyer retune the computer for the PI engine, I'd think it would be better.

As for the Intake Tuning Valve, I cut the "impeller" off, plugged it in and tucked it up and out of the way. I haven't gotten to seeing what will happen if I unplug it. Kind of forgot about that.

I've still a tranny issue to resolve, and that might help the MPH some too once I get that worked out. In hind sight I would have ordered the tranny for my model year instead of an '03. It seemed like a good idea at the time, based on things I'd read here and elseware.

Anyway, hope you found this helpful.

Doug

Quick Reply: Replacing a 1997 4.6L with a 2004 4.6L