Troyer underdrive pulleys installation questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Troyer underdrive pulleys installation questions

Saturday I am planning on installing my underdrive pulley set I got from TP. I was hoping anyone else who has done this could give me some pointers.

Things I'm worried about are removal (told this is trivial with a pulley puller) and reinstallation (if the pulley isn't perfect wobble can be BAD).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by xopis
Saturday I am planning on installing my underdrive pulley set I got from TP. I was hoping anyone else who has done this could give me some pointers.

Things I'm worried about are removal (told this is trivial with a pulley puller) and reinstallation (if the pulley isn't perfect wobble can be BAD).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Removing the Mechanical Fan can be a pain. You can get a special tool for this. But I just used a 18" adjustable wrench and then a hammer so it had an impact affect.

I've never had any problems installing dampner pulleys. But when removing them, with a puller I've seperated them. But that isn't really a problem since you will be installing a new dampner anyway.

Just make sure you use some High Temp RTV in the keyway behind the Dampner Washer like told to do in the instuctions.

Good Luck,
Doug

Old 01-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Be absolutely certain that the balancer is fully seated against the crank angle thingy.

Mine was loose and over time it developed a terrible whine and the crank angle thingy wore out. It is a real b*tch to get that timing cover off and on again.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:16 PM
Oh I forgot to mention that I also used and Air Impact to remove the Dambner Bolt as I couldn't figure out a way to keep the darn crank from turning while loosening the bolt.

I may have used the impact to seat the new one too. Naughty me. Low setting mind you.

Doug

Old 01-11-2007, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to brave it Saturday. I'll take pictures and maybe my mistakes will help others.

Quick Reply: Troyer underdrive pulleys installation questions