Curious

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 06:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Curious

Can anyone give me any insight on using Seafoam or duralube to flush the crankcase? What about other crankcase additives?

Old 01-09-2007, 02:47 PM
I have lots of seafoam experience with various vehicles.

You want to take you brake booster hose line off, and let you manifold suck it through the engine untill the motor dies. If the vehicle dies before at least half the bottle is sucked up, start her up, and shove the tube back in the bottle. Once enough is gone, you can pour some in your crank case, and if there is a little left over, you can run it in your gas.

Let your car sit for 5-10 minutes after it dies (seafoam is cleaning), start her up, and watch the smoke show. Let your car idle out a good amount of smoke, you can also then give your motor different rpms, and more smoke will appear.

I have never ran it in my crank case, but I may give it a try. It's supposed work great in there. Just do it within a reasonable time frame of your next oild change.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do NOT put seafoam in your crankcase. dont even bother with that dura lube stuff.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:15 AM
OK, may I ask why? I have read several articles abut using it right before an oil change, specificly on an enginr that has been dirty for awhile. When I bought this truck it looked like the oil hadn't been changed in awhile so I was just looking to clean it out a little. Any suggestions here?

Old 01-10-2007, 12:40 PM
you have a 97 250?? is that a 5.8??. how is the oil pressure??? any valvetrain noise?? if not just a good oil and a quality filter is all you need.sea foam is ok to use down the brake booster hose but not the crankcase.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:11 PM
It's a 5.4. The only noise or anything that has shown up is generally when you first crank it. There is what sounds to me like a chirpping noise that seems to be coming more from the passanger side towards the firewall area. It mainly does when you first crank up and the engine idles up. when the engine idles back down, it seems to stop. After it warms up it pretty much goes away all together. Other than that it runs pretty good. I've had it for about three months now and it was doing it when I got it, but I couldn't pass up the deal. It is a 4x4, and I did have the EGR system repaired. Other than that all I have done is a tune up and oil change. I did have to replace a coil pack the other day, but it was on #6. That pretty much brings everything up to date. I have been told it could be a number of things, but nothing drastic. Any ideas?

Old 01-10-2007, 02:36 PM
well if its running well i would just leave it alone. just keep up with your oil changes. im not a big fan of adding anything to the crankcase.when the miles get high maybye around 200k id feel safer dropping the pan giving it a good scrubbing, checking out the oil screen etc.. its a bit of work bit worth it in my opinion.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:03 AM
It's not gonna hurt you to run it in your crankcase for period of time. Just run it for the last couple hundred miles before an oil change. I've had good results using it. If your truck is getting up there in milage, give it a shot. It won't hurt your car, it can only help. It's a really good cleaner.

NOTE: Seafoam and duralube a totally different. Seafoam is a cleaner, not a 'super lubricant' like duralube. Duralube sticks to your engine's internal parts, seafoam cleans them.

Last edited by Scott_95gt; 01-16-2007 at 03:05 AM.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:49 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I agree with keith 97 - You don't want to Sea-Foam the crankcase.- Great products I use there stuff , but I don't put in there.. Nope, Dropping the pan and cleaning her out at 200k sounds good.

Cleaning the pick-up screen if needed - ( much ,much better plan) .

If you have a cooler - good time to clean that as-well.. I don't trust anything in the crank case but oil.. I wouldn't trust the cleaning agents in a high milage motor. Something new for, seals, bearings , pump , etc - I dunno , I wouldn't F widit..

If you've used synthetics in the past or just changed your oil, it's prolly okay down there ,

A 5.4L especially , shoot 200k - it's just broke in..

Up 2 you tho , good luck ..

Last edited by jbrew; 01-16-2007 at 08:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Curious