Started 4.6 to 5.4 swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 12:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Started 4.6 to 5.4 swap

Well I picked up an 03 5.4 today for $1800.00, 34000 miles. Started to get 4.6 ready to pull Funny thing while pulling the injectors three were white and the rest were orange what is the difference. There was an oil water mixture in the MAF and Throttle body ???? Will probably pull engine tomorrow only get to work on it after work so might take awhile. Will let you know how it is going. Starter didn't seem to be as big of a problem as I had heard it could be guess I got luky
COU

Old 01-09-2007, 01:18 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
WOW , I don't think all of them were 19's , were they like any of these..21's I think..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-...66382167QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...71140314QQrdZ1

Last edited by jbrew; 01-09-2007 at 03:03 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:27 AM
Nope looked just like the orange ones except white. was a little dark and couldn't read them will look at them tomorrow why would they mix the injectors? I think they did it when they did the heads (really don't think they knew what they were doing will never go to them again.)
COU
They do look like the second link

Last edited by cbiker; 01-09-2007 at 01:29 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:02 AM

The only reason I can think of is that's what was lying around lol - They may have been troubleshooting and just had those handy. White ones are 21's - they put out more fuel , The 97 call's for 19's (the orange ones) I don't think they could of been working right - never heard of anyone doing that . Why are you changing motors? How did the 4.6 run before you decided to do this?

Old 01-09-2007, 02:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BREW! stop it, he's doing the right thing :P

i get to watch this and see if theres anything else coming up for my swap that will pose a problem... even tho im adding a SC headache to it.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Klitch
BREW! stop it, he's doing the right thing :P:

i get to watch this and see if theres anything else coming up for my swap that will pose a problem... even tho im adding a SC headache to it.
Yeah, you have a task ahead of you - should be fun - better hurry before work picks up and you don't have the time..

I'm just curious how cbiker's 4six ran with mismatched injectors..I wonder if the comp will govern the 21's to match the 19's output..

Not tryin to stop anything Klitch. He's doin the right thing, your right - He's puttin a 5four inner isn't he

Last edited by jbrew; 01-09-2007 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Yeah, you have a task ahead of you - should be fun - better hurry before work picks up and you don't have the time..

I'm just curious how cbiker's 4six ran with mismatched injectors..I wonder if the comp will govern the 21's to match the 19's output..

Not tryin to stop anything Klitch. He's doin the right thing, your right - He's puttin a 5four inner isn't he
Hmmmm... How about 5% lean on the 19's and 5% rich on the 21's?

If they were complete sets on each bank it might even have run dead on with seperate 02 sensors.

Just guessing....

Old 01-09-2007, 11:15 PM
Thumbs up Been there, done that!!!

Did'nt ketch what your using for a computer but this is what I did 1998 f150 4x4 supercab I used the all the computer, maf, injectors from the 4.6 and lenghtened some wires on the wiring harness all the conectors are the same on the 5.4 but the knock sensor .To fix that just use the 4.6 sensor ,you'll have to use a couple pipe fittings to get it big enough to fit the 5.4 block that I welded together. you have to use the 5.4 y-pipe Iv'e ran this setup for 65,000 no problems !!!Oh at 5000 I installed a Vortech supercharger . The reason for this upgrade for me was pulling a 8500 lb travel trailer and blew the weak 4.6 at 120,000 .The 5.4 I put in had 70,000 on it .Now I have 200,000 on the odometer that makes 150,000 on the engine! I'm starting to put a new 5.4 in this truck but I'm adding ceramic coated Mac Pro Chamber shorties and a 1700 stall converter .I need the stall because I now pull a 17,000 lb Carriage Carrilite fifth wheel!!! .The 1998 4x4 f150 and f250 have the same suspension for this year. I have heavly modified this truck.Hurst shift kit, energy suspension, 5,000 lb rear air bags, timbrens in front, screamin demon coil packs, accel plug wires, yada yada yada I'f I can help any way let me know .I learned alot from websites like this when I started mine and would be glad to help out. mmadmurph My new engine http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...8394244&rd=1,1

Last edited by monket; 01-09-2007 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:25 AM
Sorry for not answering sooner but had a long day at work. The Four6 was running like ***t Then an oil line to the oil cooler broke ran out of oil but still showed oil pressure right up to when the valves started making one heck of a racket never ran very good after having oil line repaired all this after having heads rebuilt by the yoyo's that put the different injectors in.
One Question was looking at the truck tonight when I finally got home and it looks like Ill have to remove engine mounts to remove engine is this right or is there a trick to getting them to clear. It doesn't look like you can lift it enough to clear if you just remove the center bolt like the book saya.
COU

Old 01-10-2007, 01:26 AM

at least i have almost everything lined out, priced and i am about to pull the trigger on everything. i am pulling the heads off next week, or thursday this week if i have time. calling fox lake and talkin about the stage 2 heads. wait til those come back, then by the time i get those back i should have gotten paid so i can start on the bottom end... then call and haggle troyer.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:48 AM

This is cool. looks your getting all the hardware for the makings of nice build.. Read, read, read.. cover all the bases. Do you have a builder? You going to farm out the low end, or do it yourself? Hell when you started this prodject - I thought you were just going to swap out motors..This will be sweet ..

Old 01-10-2007, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by cbiker
Sorry for not answering sooner but had a long day at work. The Four6 was running like ***t Then an oil line to the oil cooler broke ran out of oil but still showed oil pressure right up to when the valves started making one heck of a racket never ran very good after having oil line repaired all this after having heads rebuilt by the yoyo's that put the different injectors in.
One Question was looking at the truck tonight when I finally got home and it looks like Ill have to remove engine mounts to remove engine is this right or is there a trick to getting them to clear. It doesn't look like you can lift it enough to clear if you just remove the center bolt like the book saya.
COU
I haven't heard of having to do that , - unbolt the trans and take everything off on top of the manifold - radiator and other obvious things. I haven't heard of anyone pulling the whole mount..Should have the room with the radiator removed..

Try searching - "pulled the motor" within this forum - lots of info here..

Old 01-10-2007, 02:01 AM
I haven't heard of having to do that , - unbolt the trans and take everything off on top of the manifold - radiator and other obvious things. I haven't heard of anyone pulling the whole mount..Should have the room with the radiator removed..

Try searching - "pulled the motor" within this forum - lots of info here..

Thanks for the info
COU

Old 01-10-2007, 02:08 AM
This is cool. looks your getting all the hardware for the makings of nice build.. Read, read, read.. cover all the bases. Do you have a builder? You going to farm out the low end, or do it yourself? Hell when you started this prodject - I thought you were just going to swap out motors..This will be sweet ..
i originally was just gonna rebuild and put fox lakes work on the top. now i found a screaming deal and im running with it. i wanna hear my 8.8 cry like a (insert line here)

i am building the whole thing myself with my fathers help. i cant decide on manley vs mahle pistons yet for the SC setup. my only question lies with bearing choice. federal mogul is my choice atm.

i have the entire engine build laid out, priced. ready to pull, my only problem is the lightning parts im trying to locate for dirt cheap lol.

$1600 in "rebuild" parts, minus bearings. + 1800 head job brings me to 3399
main support system is 355 = 3754. then keep adding for bearings, tune, SC setup. so all in all im lookin over $5000 still.

wanna kiss my motor when its built?

Old 01-10-2007, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Klitch
i originally was just gonna rebuild and put fox lakes work on the top. now i found a screaming deal and im running with it. i wanna hear my 8.8 cry like a (insert line here)

i am building the whole thing myself with my fathers help. i cant decide on manley vs mahle pistons yet for the SC setup. my only question lies with bearing choice. federal mogul is my choice atm.

i have the entire engine build laid out, priced. ready to pull, my only problem is the lightning parts im trying to locate for dirt cheap lol.

$1600 in "rebuild" parts, minus bearings. + 1800 head job brings me to 3399
main support system is 355 = 3754. then keep adding for bearings, tune, SC setup. so all in all im lookin over $5000 still.

wanna kiss my motor when its built?

LOL - Look up that piston question , I remember Neal talking about the differences quite a bit in his thread , I think he went with "mahle" - not sure. I know he did comparison, it's in here somewhere..

Quick Reply: Started 4.6 to 5.4 swap