tuneup on 2000 f150 4.6 with 200,000 miles . . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tuneup on 2000 f150 4.6 with 200,000 miles . . .

i have a 2000 f150 with 200,000 on it . my last tuneup was at 100,000 and i paid ford dealership to do it . i would like to know how to do it myself and what all needs to be done . how difficult is it . my ses light is on . i had it read and it says misfire cyl 1 . i replaced the coil and ran fine for a week and is now doing it again . any help will be appreciated . thanks jay

Old 01-07-2007, 05:21 PM
Spark plugs. May be the misfire, as the bad coil could have fouled the plug. Change fluids, all of them. Inspect anything made of rubber. Lube all moving parts- shift linkage, door hinges, e-brake cable, etc., and anything with a zert fitting. You've obviously done the routine maintinance or it wouldn't be at 200k.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:43 PM
In addition to changing all your fluids and the spark plugs with 200,000 miles if you haven't done it already I would really think about using some Sea Foam to clean things out. Make sure you change your fuel and air filters as well, but as F151 said, you've obviously been taking care of the truck or you never would have reached 200k. Other things I can thnk of are your PCV Valve, maybe a can of good fuel additive/injector cleaner (I like the Lucas brand) and you probably want to do a transmission flush and fill with a new filter. Good luck with all this. I'd plan on it taking you a good weekend if you don't do this a lot or have a lift or service pit or something. It will take you some time, but working on your own machine can be really rewarding.--DIY.

P.S. F151 nice looking Stang you have there. Looks just like the one I used to have. Should have never sold that car!

Old 01-08-2007, 01:38 AM
1. Spark Plugs. Use a Penetrating Oil like Kroil to help loosen them up. These heads dont have many threads and are easy to damage. Use Anti Seize on Threads of the new plug and torque to spec. This increases the chance of spitting plugs but reduces the chance of damaging the threads in the process.

2. Check PCV. It should Rattle if still good. The tube to PCV often plugs on the 4.6. Make sure its still open.

3. Air Filter if it hasnt been recently changed.

4. Fuel Filter if it hasnt been recently changed

5. Change 02 Sensors if original. They get less sensitive with age and make the engine run richer. This cost mpg.

6. Flush Trans and change Fluid and Filter. However if original you may want to just change the filter as the original seals are likely already damaged and may leak when exposed to new fluid. However this means you are excepting the fact the trans is on borrowed time.

7. Rear Diff Fluid with Anti-Slip Additive if so equiped.

8. Belts if original

9. Hoses if Original

10. Flush Radiator and Change Coolant

11. Spray Starter Fluid around all vac lines and air intake connections with engine running to check for leaks.

12. Consider Cleaning Throttle Body and checking Idle Air Control.

Quick Reply: tuneup on 2000 f150 4.6 with 200,000 miles . . .