04 5.4`s do they have lifter tick ????

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 5.4`s do they have lifter tick ????

My 5.4 ticks when I start it up & always makes a little noise, is just the over head cam design?? Mine has 36000 miles.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If it's rattling/clattering on start up, no, that's not normal.

Some clatter/rattle at hot idle is normal though, the injectors in these engines are very noisy, and there's some normal noise that comes from the variable cam timing system. It's difficult to determine/explain what's excessive noise from the VCT system; if excessive, cam phasers and/or lash adjusters can fix/allevate it somewhat.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:46 PM
Try a Motorcraft oil filter. They have a better back-flow prevention valve. Leaky ones give you lifter rattle on start-up. I use Mobil 1 filters and theirs are good too.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:55 PM
I have similar noises in my 04 FX4 5.4, and have come to the conclusion that my annoying noises are a mixture of 3 things (one of them is normal and the other two are not normal):

The one that is normal is the injectors and will be kind of a spitting or plunging noise (spraying).

The two noises that need to be fixed on mine are:
1. The ticking noise which your dealer service rep will tell you is a problem with the Cam Phaser;
2. The other noise which is noticable as a sort of grinding is the idler or tensioner pulley. I'm positive that both of these are common issues with our trucks.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:34 PM
I have an 04 with the "common" ticking noise. It only occurs when the truck is hot. Cold, she is quiet as can be. When hot, it is a ticking that sounds as though it is coming from the wheel well. Almost sounds like I have a diesel. I have had the dealer tell me the noise is loud, but normal. What would be the cost to repair the cam phasers or lash adjusters just to try to get rid of the diesel sound? Very annoying!

Old 01-05-2007, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by derhicks
What would be the cost to repair the cam phasers or lash adjusters just to try to get rid of the diesel sound? Very annoying!
My local dealership quoted me $1366 to fix out of warranty. I've decided to live with it.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:43 AM
TNC
Originally Posted by sincebeen
I have similar noises in my 04 FX4 5.4, and have come to the conclusion that my annoying noises are a mixture of 3 things (one of them is normal and the other two are not normal):

The one that is normal is the injectors and will be kind of a spitting or plunging noise (spraying).

The two noises that need to be fixed on mine are:
1. The ticking noise which your dealer service rep will tell you is a problem with the Cam Phaser;
2. The other noise which is noticable as a sort of grinding is the idler or tensioner pulley. I'm positive that both of these are common issues with our trucks.
I agree... get the grinding noise checked out. The cam phaser is annoying but won't do any harm.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by derhicks
I have an 04 with the "common" ticking noise. It only occurs when the truck is hot. Cold, she is quiet as can be. When hot, it is a ticking that sounds as though it is coming from the wheel well. Almost sounds like I have a diesel. I have had the dealer tell me the noise is loud, but normal. What would be the cost to repair the cam phasers or lash adjusters just to try to get rid of the diesel sound? Very annoying!

Mine seems to have the samething.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:09 PM
TNC
Originally Posted by TNoff
Mine seems to have the samething.
That's the classic symptoms of the phaser. Per the TSB.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:46 AM
engine tick

Greetings,

Here is what is going on with my 2004 F150 with the 3v 5.4 (47,000 miles). I took it in for the engine tick (sounds like a diesel). They were going to replace the cam phasers but when they got in the top end of the motor, the said I had lifter damage, damaged cam, and various other problems due to a lack of lubrication on the top end of the motor.

They want me to replace all these parts or put a new engine in . They also suggested that if i didnt relace the motor, to get rid of the truck or trade it in asap because they couldnt guarantee the motor wouldnt eventually go bad.
they are basically saying the problem will persist due to a lack of oil pressure in the top end. my vehicle is out of warranty and now I have to call Ford to complain about this issue.

any advice would be appreciated!

Old 01-11-2007, 07:15 PM

I Thought I was going crazy.......I've heard the same ticking ,only after warm up and is not loud but noticeable.My '04 has 91,000 mostly hi-way miles,regular oil changes. The brakes have been a concern though....all 4 rotors have been replaced and just this past week,both front calipers. we'll see what's next.

Quick Reply: 04 5.4`s do they have lifter tick ????