5.4l - to rebuild or replace, that is the Question!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4l - to rebuild or replace, that is the Question!

Hello all;

It is beginning to look like I will need to perform some engine work (2002 5.4l). Oil pressure is low and timing chains making noise.

So, should I rebuild my current motor (105k)? If yes, how can I improve the motor and it's output without taking out a second mortgage? Is there a master rebuild kit available for the 5.4 and what is the MAX on boring and compression?

Anyone have experience with the 'performance' 5.4 from that engine place in Houston? they advertise 350 hp but want 3200 for the longblock.

I am looking/asking for your experiences with engine rebuilds or replacements to help me avoid as many mistakes as possible.

thank you in advance.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No experience with that place, but you could build one with some nice heads, and get pretty good power

Old 01-03-2007, 07:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your reply.

Can my current heads be modified/improved to meet your definition of nice?

If yes, what work would they need? Port matching? Polishing? three angle valve job?

Is there a factory cam that I can change to that will help improve power/torque?

Does the block or lower end need/benefit clearancing, balancing, windage trays ect?

I have built/rebuilt many motors, but never a 5.4. These puppies are expensive (compared to my other motors) and I want to do it right the first time!

Old 01-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.foxlakeracing.com/

those guys! lol. im going to them with my 02 5.4's heads

look around for comp cams, they have some mild mannered cams. actually about any company with cams for the modulars have a mild mannered cam that adds power

the block can benefit from those things, i believe neal did it all. check out the hp freaks build up thread

i am looking at $4500 in my build. pm me or something if you want some links i have to some parts for my build.

Quick Reply: 5.4l - to rebuild or replace, that is the Question!