Problems with 5.4!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with 5.4!!

Hi, I got a 03 5.4. I went mudding the other day and I got stuck in some water in a field. Got it out and put on about 100 or so miles on the truck and it ran great. I then did some city driving, and right around the time the low fuel light came on my engine started spuddering, when I was accelerating. I went to the nearest gas station and put some gas in and some iso heet because I thought it was a water in my gas problem. Well it wasn't because now it spudders when it is idiling, accelerating or when your cruising especially when the torque converter is locked. The only time it dosent do it is when im coasting. I'm thinking that I have a spark problem. Any input is very much valued and is needed asap because it is getting worse!

Old 01-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a bad coil. Did the SES light come on?

Old 01-02-2007, 07:47 PM
Check your plugs/coils/ and other connectors... any Check Engine Lights on?

There's some Dioelectric Spray(Spell check me on that) that you can use to clean off electrical and connectors.

I'd start there

Old 01-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
dielectric

Old 01-02-2007, 07:57 PM
Yeah, my ses light did come on, and I had auto zone try to read my codes but apparently my fuse is blown or something (she said like a ecm fuse) and they cant get any power from the thingy. But, remember this motor is coil on plug so it is very different and diffucult to reach

Old 01-02-2007, 08:00 PM

First and formost - check you diff fluids if you don't have extenders on the breather - that's not your problem now , but if you contaminated the oil , it will be VERY costly within the next 1000 miles.

If your pig(third member, diff) was submerged - it's compromized.

Push your motor for MIL . You have to push hard enough in order for the comp to recognize the prob. Just get on it a couple times.. You'll getta blinking MIL - then get it read free at auto zone. Get the numbers from there OB2 Scanner , The last number is the faulty cylinder.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by SuperBlackCrew3
Yeah, my ses light did come on, and I had auto zone try to read my codes but apparently my fuse is blown or something (she said like a ecm fuse) and they cant get any power from the thingy. But, remember this motor is coil on plug so it is very different and diffucult to reach

Fix the fuse in the PDB - then perform procdure above..

Old 01-02-2007, 08:03 PM

That little manual that came with the truck in the glove box will decribe the fuse that needs to be replaced.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:06 PM
i've also heard of the plugs themselves backing out of the triton motors. This will produce a "miss" or sputtering. I would check to make sure all your sparkplugs are tight as well because this could cause much bigger problems down the road.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:41 AM
Originally Posted by 24and14
i've also heard of the plugs themselves backing out of the triton motors. This will produce a "miss" or sputtering. I would check to make sure all your sparkplugs are tight as well because this could cause much bigger problems down the road.
That's not his problem. He'd know for sure if he'd launch a plug. It wouldn't be an occasional shudder or miss. I'd start with the basics, change all of your fluids, change the fuel filter, and dry out the COPS.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Zaairman
That's not his problem. He'd know for sure if he'd launch a plug. It wouldn't be an occasional shudder or miss. I'd start with the basics, change all of your fluids, change the fuel filter, and dry out the COPS.
Yeah, you better check everything - It happened to me once. Water Farks everything up if yuh go to deep, or if you hose it down a little too well.

OR, if you treat it like chit!!

Last edited by jbrew; 01-03-2007 at 05:47 AM.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:20 AM
sputtering fuel

Had my 04 to dealer last week, eng. light was on. Mech. screwed with a fuel wiring connector under driver's door. He said wiring was screwed up and it was sputtering and hardly starting until he retightened the connector and said oops. Not sure of exact location but it was directly beneath driver's door.
I think the light came on after an under car wash, so I figure the connector may have loosened. Worth a try.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:37 PM
OK, when I check the rear diff, how can I tell if theres any water in it or not? Or does it even matter since it was submeged? If i change the rear diff, should I also change the front one as well? And since I changed my oil not too long ago with AMS Oil and filter, I really dont want to throw away that oil just because some magical way some water got in my actual engine. But what im thinking it is the coil for sure. going to find out tomorrow when i rip her apart! But thank all of you who helped me

Old 01-03-2007, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by SuperBlackCrew3
OK, when I check the rear diff, how can I tell if theres any water in it or not? Or does it even matter since it was submeged? If i change the rear diff, should I also change the front one as well? And since I changed my oil not too long ago with AMS Oil and filter, I really dont want to throw away that oil just because some magical way some water got in my actual engine. But what im thinking it is the coil for sure. going to find out tomorrow when i rip her apart! But thank all of you who helped me
Magical ?? What an idiot! First class MORON!! I'll remember this name... a$$

Quick Reply: Problems with 5.4!!