pi head swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question pi head swap

I am new to the forum thing but maybe someone can help me. I have 2000 f150 with a 4.6 that i recently had the stock heads replaced with a set of stage 2 patriot performance heads. After installing the heads I found out that my 2000 upper and lower intake and cams did not match up and that i would have to us 2006 replacements to match the heads. Now that everything is installed and the truck is back on the road I am having some problems that I am not sure wait is causing them. The truck seems slugish and has some hesitation when cold. I also for the first time had a back fire. I am not sure if this is a problem with the computer not being able to adjust to the new parts or if there is a mechanical problem.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by 51bandit
I am new to the forum thing but maybe someone can help me. I have 2000 f150 with a 4.6 that i recently had the stock heads replaced with a set of stage 2 patriot performance heads. After installing the heads I found out that my 2000 upper and lower intake and cams did not match up and that i would have to us 2006 replacements to match the heads. Now that everything is installed and the truck is back on the road I am having some problems that I am not sure wait is causing them. The truck seems slugish and has some hesitation when cold. I also for the first time had a back fire. I am not sure if this is a problem with the computer not being able to adjust to the new parts or if there is a mechanical problem.
You need a tune for what is essentially a PI motor, mildly ported heads, stock cams, etc. Call Troyer.

You computer is trying to operate the engine with incorrect information. The engine is more efficient now, and needs new fuel maps, spark curves, etc.

One question though, WTF were you thinking using stock 06 cams with a stage 2 heads? You probably will only pick up 10-15 hp with that. That's a big waste for the extra money you plunked down on the heads. If you put some decent cams in there, and maybe warm up the intake a little, you could probably gross another 100hp out of it.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:37 AM
i went in to this thinking that my 2000 intake would fit the new heads and that the truck had pi heads on it from factory and that it was a straight head swap. I had every intention to put after market cams in it put after finding out that I had to buy a new upper and lower intake it became a money issue. I was able to pick up the 2006 cams cheap.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You need to run premium gas too, if you didnt know.

Quick Reply: pi head swap