Found the miss in my 5.4L

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found the miss in my 5.4L

Thanx to all the threads that lead me to find the miss in my engine. After pulling all the plugs (which were black with carbon), I found the rear two spark plug cavities had water in them. After cleaning all the cavities and using a hell of a lot of dielectic grease then truck is running as good as new. Who at Ford didnt think that these cavities should be sealed better? What about using a couple of o-rings at the top to seal against the head? Naturally, I could just drive the truck in the city and never take it out of 4X4....."NOT". Cheers for now...............

Old 12-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
That's the fix - O - Rings and allot of grease lol - Bluegrass posted that one, unless u figured it out..

Good goin , you searched it out - most don't , it requires time..

Remember , that grease don't last forever- check it out every second oil change or so.

Thanx for postin

Old 12-30-2006, 01:27 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
When you find conditions that bad; inspect the boots close, if there is any doubt replace them.
They are only about $5 ea at an Auto Zone and include a new connector link.
The O rings to use at the plug porcleans are 2 #110. They are a size that just fits snugg without a lot of streching.
For the top seal, try a #10. Both these sizes are selected to fit the spaces.
Good to see it all worked out for you.

Next item to work on, for those who need more protection of the coils are covers or a heavey coating of clear silicone rubber over the tops to get a better seal and keep water from laying in the potting areas.
The covers could be made by someone who has the ability to have plastic caps molded to fit the coils and connector area.
Keeping the whole area dry is the key to long life as long as the spark plug dosn't give up in some way, coil failure should be low.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 12-30-2006 at 01:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Found the miss in my 5.4L