Blown motor 05 Screw 22k 5.4L...Advice???

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown motor 05 Screw 22k 5.4L...Advice???

Has anyone dealt with warranty replacement and if so any advice on how to handle them. my truck is already in and new long block ordered by service manager.They only want to continue original warranty after new engine install, I think they should give me 3yrs 36k on the new engine any help would be appreciated.....Thanks.

p.s. this really sucks,I feel like I been kicked in the *****

Old 12-28-2006, 07:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well I think if they cover all the costs, its fine to continue the warranty...

Old 12-28-2006, 07:57 PM
having worked as a mechanic........it's like replaced a "part"!! it's covered for the rest of the original waranty. if they replaced the motor with a complete crate engine,,,, that may be different.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:12 PM
What caused the motor to blow?

Old 12-29-2006, 06:50 PM
I was just driving it and it started shaking and smoking like hell. The dealer doesn't know the cause yet. Ford also had the nerve to ask me to cough up all the oil change receipts!! Good thing I saved them all... every 3k miles without a skip (altough, they recomend 5k).

Old 12-29-2006, 06:51 PM
lol they would try every single thing to get out of it. You could go 10k on oil changes and your not going to blow your motor...

Old 12-29-2006, 07:19 PM
Dealer tells me all parts are on order,as soon as they come in it will take them two days install and reflash PCM.......well we"ll see.Maybe it will run even better. I hear the 07 engines had some small modification and put out a few more horses.Just tryin to find some kind of good in this I guess.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by HVACMAN
Has anyone dealt with warranty replacement and if so any advice on how to handle them. my truck is already in and new long block ordered by service manager.They only want to continue original warranty after new engine install, I think they should give me 36k on the new engine any help would be appreciated.....Thanks.

p.s. this really sucks,I feel like I been kicked in the *****

Yup, went thru that in 2000 - My truck was purchased Oct. 98 . We were working on the roads outside the dealership. Had them service it while I was working . Picked up the truck and they didn't put oil back in the motor. I didn't make it far ..

They replaced the motor , but I was concerned - they didn't replace the heads. I had all kinds of bells and whistles going off when it finally quit - I was trying to make it back to the dealership - it was overheating as well when I was trying to get back there that first time , so that brought on that concern (thought the may have been warped - didn't want to chance it)

I wanted new heads on the motor and was adimitt about it and accidently broke the showroom door bottom window out- I barley touched it !!

Anyway after that it got a little ugly - I was cheesed off bigtime.

Ended up going to court - Turned out the Mechanic never came back after lunch and quit , they assumed it was finished. When all was said and done, I recieved anger management classes and had to pay for the window( The dealership waved that one, they were cool after that.) , but they had to give me a new pair of heads .. Judge said - lol.

So it's a fight, true that - "The squeaky wheel gets the grease" Just try to control your reflexes

Good Luck with it..

Last edited by jbrew; 12-30-2006 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by top_sgt
having worked as a mechanic........it's like replaced a "part"!! it's covered for the rest of the original waranty. if they replaced the motor with a complete crate engine,,,, that may be different.
been there as well. I would like to know exactly what parts they are replacing. Did they order an entire short block or did they just order a block, new rings, and new bearings? did they check the heads for warping? did they even order a block? they could just be honing out the old one and replacing the rings. Be inquisitive is the best advice I could give you.

When I blew the motor in my 2000 celica gts they replaced it and the tranny under warranty because toyota screwed up on the gates on the shifter. The service manager told me all my exhaust valves were bent in an "S" shape(they were he gave me one when I picked up the car), the flywheel was shattered and the rpm reading on the ECM was maxed out @ 14,500rpm. Funny thing was I was able to drive it home from the track and back to the dealer

Alright, I'm rambling, I'll stop

Old 12-31-2006, 05:47 PM
Dealer tells me they are replacing everything except intake and exhaust manifolds ..."installing a long block" per the dealer.

Old 12-31-2006, 06:08 PM
glad to hear. no charge right?

Old 12-31-2006, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by HVACMAN
Dealer tells me they are replacing everything except intake and exhaust manifolds ..."installing a long block" per the dealer.
That's pretty nice. Don't forget that you'll go through a new break-in period again.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Cool - Glad it went well and you didn't end up with lawyer fees..

Old 01-01-2007, 02:40 PM
as your still in original warranty, ask about taking the 100k/7year powertrain at a discounted price. Good if you have many payments left. should have had it on wifes windstar cost at time $750, instead $2520 for a replacement trans.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:28 PM
If you get a whole new motor then shouldn't you get a whole new warranty? I had to replace my tranny recently and I got a whole new warranty. It had to be replaced due to driver error :o

Quick Reply: Blown motor 05 Screw 22k 5.4L...Advice???