another 98 4.6 #4 missfire... searched a lot

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another 98 4.6 #4 missfire... searched a lot

Here's the scoop. I just bought a 98 2wd f150 supercab 4.6 windsor with 131K on it. I paid 2100 for it cuz it was knocking. I pulled the head off the pass side and found a bad piston in #3 hole. Replaced the piston, bearing, and rings. I put it together with all new mostly motorcraft gaskets and seals. I now have a missfire on #4.

Conditions: Btw i did pull the harness away from the a/c accum. and i seemed to help !

I can reset the computer. Engine runs pretty well and has decent power around town. If i get on the interstate and drive for a while it's fine. As soon as i get off the exit... and then start again from a stop sign or light the CEL starts blinking... eventually it will go solid. The ONLY code i've gotten is a #4 missfire. After the cel comes on the motor runs more rough than it did before. I pulled each fuel injector while running and all seemed equal. I just replaced the wires and plugs. I used autolite double plats. I've double checked that the wires are plugged in and seated all the way on the plugs. I've pulled #4 plug and unplugged all the fuel injectors and turned it over. nice blue, consistant spark.

Anyone have any thoghts? I'm going to swap coil packs tomarrow to see if the missfire moves. FYI the only cyclinder/piston that looked bad was #3. The others looked to be in perfect shape. The head looked fine as well and i put new valve seals in as well.

Can a 4 way coil pack have just one bad corner?

Thanks for any help
Adam

Old 12-25-2006, 10:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Hi Adam , from what I 've read the answere is yes to your question. I have the COP,s system on my 98 but people generaly use eBay to get there COP's or Coil Pacs when they need them . You can get mew one's at a 75% discount if you keep an eye out for them.

When these motors get up there in milage COP's & Coil Pacs weaken which can result in poor performance and very bad gas milage.

I suggest swapping them out for new ones. It's morless the ultimate tune up.

Quick Reply: another 98 4.6 #4 missfire... searched a lot