Engine ticking/plunging sort of noise

Old 12-22-2006, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine ticking/plunging sort of noise

It's most evident during idle due to the short RPM intervals but I don't think it's a combusting ping. I use Amoco unltimate (93). It's not even a ping, it's a tick with a slight plunging sort of sound.
I talked to a service rep at a dealer in Michigan last month and he right away said it was the Cam Phaser (not sure what that is) but I didn't have time to leave it with him so when I took it to the dealer here in NC, the next day when I got back here, they said it was fine. It's annoying cause I know it's not fine.

When I pop the hood and listen it sounds like it coming from near the bottom of the engine on the passenger side (*I think*).

Any ideas?

2004 FX4 SCab 5.4L

Old 12-22-2006, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by sincebeen
It's most evident during idle due to the short RPM intervals but I don't think it's a combusting ping. I use Amoco unltimate (93). It's not even a ping, it's a tick with a slight plunging sort of sound.
I talked to a service rep at a dealer in Michigan last month and he right away said it was the Cam Phaser (not sure what that is) but I didn't have time to leave it with him so when I took it to the dealer here in NC, the next day when I got back here, they said it was fine. It's annoying cause I know it's not fine.

When I pop the hood and listen it sounds like it coming from near the bottom of the engine on the passenger side (*I think*).

Any ideas?

2004 FX4 SCab 5.4L
i have the same "tick" on my 2005. although mine is on both sides of the engine and seems to be coming from the fuel rack. i think its too loud to be the injectors. and i also get the "plunge" sound at certain RPMS just above idle and at idle.

i have almost 40k miles on the engine now and it runs like a champ so im not gonna rock the boat till it starts to sink.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:05 PM
It seems just about all of these 3v 5.4L knock at idle mine is the cam phaser. Im not to worried about it just a little annoying at times. My Chebby a while back knocked for 100k miles never a problem

Old 12-22-2006, 09:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
from what i've heard, the injectors are a more hollow tick. almost like a clack. theres a video clip / sound clip somewhere on the boards. i would assume phasers like most of the other 3v 5.4's

Old 12-23-2006, 01:45 PM
TNC
If it's the cam phaser, they'll be noticeable when hot, not cold idle. If under warranty, have the dealer who told you what it is replace it. Probably more of an annoyance than anything else though. BTW - the cam phaser sounds are most noticeable near the wheel wells, not really from the top. Most of the top "clickings" with the hood up are the injectors doing their thang.

Old 12-23-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by TNC
If it's the cam phaser, they'll be noticeable when hot, not cold idle. If under warranty, have the dealer who told you what it is replace it. Probably more of an annoyance than anything else though. BTW - the cam phaser sounds are most noticeable near the wheel wells, not really from the top. Most of the top "clickings" with the hood up are the injectors doing their thang.
exactly

Old 12-23-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by TNC
Good data; thanks to everyone. I'm definately going to have the Cam Phaser replaced for good measure because I think it may be a mixture of the Phaser and the injectors that's annoying me.

Since posting this I've learned that most all of our trucks have this tick so I guess the next question is probably a stupid one but what the hell: is there such thing as some sort of aftermarket injector kit that would "fix" the tick, or at least quiet it down a bit?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine ticking/plunging sort of noise