1998 f150 4.6 swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 f150 4.6 swap

Ok guys, i know there are alot of 4.6 swap threads on here, but here is my situation. I picked up a 98 f150 with a seized 4.6 here at work. I found a 1999 4.6 out of a police car crown victoria. Everything far as the block looks the same. Now i know i am going to have to switch over the timing cover, oil pan, valve covers, etc. Now is everything internally in the block, cams etc, going to work in my application. Is there anything else i need too know- thanks

Old 12-14-2006, 01:57 PM
I don'y know that you HAVE to swap the timing cover or the pan or v/c. you will need to check the number of flexplate mounting bolts on the back of the crank. romeo 4.6 had 6 bolts, windsor had 8. your cop motor is most likely roemeo, but the truck could be either. it will state which one it is on the driver side valve cover tag. if you keep the truck intake, it is better for low and midrange torque. cop car intake ahs mid range and up power better.you may have to lengthen or modify some of your harness, such as knock sensor and maybe one or two other plugs. do a leak down test on the donor motor before you think about putting it in your truck. the cams are the same.clean out the oil pan before swap. replace tensioner assemblies, and guides. and water pump. hope this helps

Old 12-14-2006, 03:09 PM
The truck engine is def a romeo engine- 6 bolt flywheel. I had planned on doing a leak down and all the other happy b.s. before i put it in. I am a tech at a g.m. dealership for 10 years, so i have a good knowledge of everything and what to do. Just not knowledgable on the whole ford line of engines. I was told by the place where i got the engine that i was going to have to swap that stuff over. I haven't looked at it that close, but i was just looking for some info. I plan on keeping the truck intake on it. It is a 4wd truck, not a sports car, so i need and want the low end torque. Thanks for the info! Hopefully going in will be easier than coming out. She was welded tight.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:24 PM
You may want to check closely your exhaust manifold outlets for similarities.if you don't have to swap them out, then don't. lots of headaches if a stud breaks. i believe it was 99 when they went to PI heads but maybe some made it out early into cop cars. when you pull the intakes off, a pi port will look almost rectangular and the non-pii will look like a teardrop. you can buy online and adapter kit if you have to to match your truck intake to the pi heads if they have them. alao, the knock sensor in the valley of the motor may need to swap the connector if not the whole sensor assembly. hope this helps. it's not too hard except for the fact that ford STILL uses studs on the torque convertor. i can't believe the rfuse to change that for us gearheads
Anyway, good luck

Quick Reply: 1998 f150 4.6 swap