Popped spark plugs on high miler...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Popped spark plugs on high miler...

Well the '00 Lariat just blew a spark plug. I got a quote on repair of $2500. That would be doing a permanent fix on both heads. The mechanic, who is an honest kind of guy said that @ 250,000km, you're not far off the motor giving out completely. I have heard various ticking sounds, and it is in the back of my head.

The option he's given to rebuild the motor and fix all that ails it, including replacing things like rad, water pump, hoses, everthing..is a staggering $6,500. I'm sure the work is worth it, but I'm just a little stunned right now to think that these are my only options....

Steve..

'00 Lariat 5.4 4x4
'97 Msytique
'94 Mustangs 5.0

Old 12-12-2006, 12:43 PM
Well, look at it like this, you'll pay 6500 for pretty much a brand new truck! (powertrain-wise that is)

Old 12-12-2006, 01:00 PM
You can get it fizxed for a couple hundred bucks with a Time Cert.
The heads don't even have to come off.

http://www.timesert.com/

Search these forums for "time cert" and you'll get tons of info.
It's relatively easy to do.

Not sure what the condition of your engine is, but these motors can last a very long time. There are guys with over 200K miles with superchargers on them, and some guys on these boards with 400K miles. But other guys don't last quite so long. I've got 130K miles with a supercahrger and it still runs very well.

$6500 is pretty steep, must include a lot of labor. If you want to just replace a tired motor, you're better off getting a complete used motor and just swapping it in. You'd likely be into it for much less that $2000 including labor.

Or a remanufacturered engine with a warranty for around $2000 plus labor.

Last edited by Jordan not Mike; 12-12-2006 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:24 PM
job...

Either way the heads have to come off, at least that's what I'm told. ince the engine has to come out...well you know where this is going. A total rebuild, and then replacing rad, water pump, hoses... the whole deal. I guess yea there is alot of labour. The other thing to remember is that we're not talking US dollars, but CAN $$, so that makes a bit of difference...

It's still steep. But I can't afford to be with the truck...

RE: TIMECERT Products...

What kind of lifespan are we talking about? Is this s permanent fix? What are the downsides of doing this??

Last edited by minimustangs; 12-12-2006 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by minimustangs
RE: TIMECERT Products...

What kind of lifespan are we talking about? Is this s permanent fix? What are the downsides of doing this??
Take it to a mechanic who knows what a TIMECERT kit is. It is a permanent fix. In fact, if you can turn a wrench, then you can fix the plug yourself. I'd look into this option, seeing as how it should only cost you less than in $650 Monopoly (Canada) money.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by minimustangs
Either way the heads have to come off, at least that's what I'm told.
You need to find another mechanic.
The heads don't have to come off for a Time Cert kit.

Did you even click the Timer Cert link or look at any of the other posts that talk about his repair?
A little research can provide a lot of information, and save you a lot of money.

This is from the Timer Cert website, but don't take thier word for it...read the posts of what others have done.
Can Spark plug repair be done without removing the head from the motor?
Yes Spark plug repair can be done without removing the head by placing a heavy grease on the step tap flutes to catch the chips. TIP: mechanics have mentioned that using a shop vac with a plastic tube taped to the nozzle end works well for removing any stray chips left over.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Jordan not Mike
You need to find another mechanic.
The heads don't have to come off for a Time Cert kit.
I just took a look at the site. I'll be asking those questions to this mechanic shortly. I'm sure when he mentioned heads of, he wasn't aware of this.

Thanks.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Your mechanic is digging for your wallet. Engine doesn't have to come out, 250,000 kms (155,000 miles) is not indicative that the engine is near the end of its lifespan (to consider such a thing is laughable), and Time Certs are practically fool proof and will only cost you a few hundred bucks and a Saturday. I did all 8 plugs on a friend's Lightning in maybe 5 - 6 hours first time ever using the kit with an air ratchet. I did one plug on my truck in about 2 hours, working on it in the parking lot of the college I go to, with nothing but simple hand tools. The ticking sound could be another sparkplug about to come loose too. $6500 will go a long way to a built performance engine by a company that knows how to build modulars. Not something to trust to just any mechanic as modulars are quite a different animal to put together.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:31 PM
Question

For that kind of money,go for a in-the -crate engine. I believe the mechanic(???????) is full of it.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
might as well go for a crate motor, i think they have the deeper plug threads anyway. 150k isnt really that many miles.these things go 200K plus. if you plan on keeping it for awhile go with crate motor.

Last edited by keith97xlt; 12-12-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Even buying a whole TimeSert kit, an air compressor & ratchet, a shop-vac, a borescope, & some other odds-&-ends would cost less than $1,400. And you'd get to KEEP all the tools. Look through these pics & their captions.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by justjames80
Your mechanic is digging for your wallet. Engine doesn't have to come out, 250,000 kms (155,000 miles) is not indicative that the engine is near the end of its lifespan (to consider such a thing is laughable), and Time Certs are practically fool proof and will only cost you a few hundred bucks and a Saturday. I did all 8 plugs on a friend's Lightning in maybe 5 - 6 hours first time ever using the kit with an air ratchet. I did one plug on my truck in about 2 hours, working on it in the parking lot of the college I go to, with nothing but simple hand tools. The ticking sound could be another sparkplug about to come loose too. $6500 will go a long way to a built performance engine by a company that knows how to build modulars. Not something to trust to just any mechanic as modulars are quite a different animal to put together.

i bet you this mechanic is an older guy. all the older guys i talk to think a motors gonna crap out at 175k miles. then when you tell em you'r reading about people with 4.6l pushin up to 500k. needless to say their jaw drops or they call bulls^^t

Old 12-13-2006, 01:28 AM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Klitch
i bet you this mechanic is an older guy. all the older guys i talk to think a motors gonna crap out at 175k miles. then when you tell em you'r reading about people with 4.6l pushin up to 500k. needless to say their jaw drops or they call bulls^^t

what bull **** " i bet you this mechanic is an older guy"
I am 59 and ride my dirt bike in the desert every week and fix a car or two on the weekend. got 160,000 miles on my F150 and my Chevy buddy thought the truck only had 60,000. got an 83 Tbird with 220,000 miles and as 93 Concorde with 236,000 miles. I'll be superbly pissed if I don't get 300,000 on the F150. hey I bet you must be a younger guy you know so much!

Old 12-13-2006, 02:27 AM
Nice ! Timecerts and old guy!

Quick Reply: Popped spark plugs on high miler...