Cam Phaser Q's

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam Phaser Q's

Hello everybody!

I just bought my first ford truck last month, a 2006 SuperCrew Lariat with the 5.4, and I am having a similar issue as a lot of folks here with the engine ticking. I brought it to a dealer, and he diagnosed the Cam Phaser problem. My question is, does this affect mileage of the truck in any way?

I am struggling to get anywhere north of 10mpg in combined city/hwy use, driving as conservatively as possible. I know that the truck is still breaking in, I have around 2000 miles on it at this point, but this is nowhere near the 14-16 I experienced with another identical SuperCrew that I drove for a month before I got mine. Or will I see the truck start to get better mileage as it gets some more miles on it? Thanks in advance for the help, I have found this board extremely helpful!

Thanks again,

Kevin

Old 12-11-2006, 07:50 PM
Yes from my understanding they will get better mileage as you accumulate more miles on the truck. And about the VCT phasers. Mine does it a little along with a bunch of others on here. I think its just mainly annoying for it to knock. But I dont think it has any adverse effects (yet!)Certainly no where near as bad as my old 01 Chevy HD 6.0L Knocker now you talk about a knock it was awful. Oh ya by the way welcome to the forum!

Old 12-11-2006, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by mnponds
Hello everybody!

I just bought my first ford truck last month, a 2006 SuperCrew Lariat with the 5.4, and I am having a similar issue as a lot of folks here with the engine ticking. I brought it to a dealer, and he diagnosed the Cam Phaser problem. My question is, does this affect mileage of the truck in any way?

I am struggling to get anywhere north of 10mpg in combined city/hwy use, driving as conservatively as possible. I know that the truck is still breaking in, I have around 2000 miles on it at this point, but this is nowhere near the 14-16 I experienced with another identical SuperCrew that I drove for a month before I got mine. Or will I see the truck start to get better mileage as it gets some more miles on it? Thanks in advance for the help, I have found this board extremely helpful!

Thanks again,

Kevin

i dont know of anyone here with an 04+ 5.4L that doesnt tick.

as far as im concerned its normal and not worth have the entire engine dismantled.

although maybe it isnt normal but if it isnt what does the "tick" indicate?..
i mean are my eggs gonna come out sunny side up instead of scrambled now?

normal engine sounds. although what suprises me is the dealers dont say there normal so thats why i'd like to know what the "tick" means..

Old 12-12-2006, 08:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello mnponds and welcome to the forum. Yours is the first 06 model I've heard of with the cam phaser tick. Mostly it was 04-05's. It really doesn't hurt anything its just annoying. Your mileage should improve with some miles on the truck. Mine didn't really start running well till almost 5k. If I were you though, I would let the dealer fix it under warranty. They do NOT have to tear the engine down, valve cover removal only will do the job. Once its fixed the engine is so much quieter at idle thats its well worth the effort. Good luck and have fun on here!

Old 03-20-2007, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the help. I brought my truck into the dealer today, and described the issues that I am having (poor mileage, **** poor power, loud ticking at hot idle), and the service writer has me set up to replace the cam phasers. I am taking my truck in tommorrow for them to fix the cam phaers.

I read a TSB for the 06's referring to the lash adjuster and not the cam phaser? What is the difference between the cam phasers and the lash adjuster? Or are those two the same thing? Thanks again for the help!

Thanks,

Kevin

Old 03-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Does anyone know if they will fix the cam phasers on my certified used limited powertrain warranty?

Old 03-21-2007, 08:43 AM
I will ask them today when I bring mine in and get back with you.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:16 AM
TNC
If you have the cam phaser tick, per the TSB, it shows up when hot. I'm pretty sure I have it, as when cold, all I can hear is the faint tick of the injectors, but hot, sounds like a mini diesel. If you have the tick when cold, it might not be the cam phaser. Having been checked out by the dealer, it likely is the cam phaser issue. So you just need to decide if you want them to disassemble. Lash adjusters are for clearances for the valves. Phaser is different.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:08 PM

does it look anything like this?

Old 03-21-2007, 06:42 PM
lol!!!

make sure the dealer sets the phasers for stun only.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:10 PM
Got the truck back today, MUCH better so far. No ticking, better power it seems too. They reflashed the PCM after fixing the phasers.

The service writer I spoke to said that the cam phaser issues would be covered under any of Ford's extended warranties, and some of them even cover a rental car while yours is in the shop.

Thanks again for the help!

Kevin

Quick Reply: Cam Phaser Q's