Fuel Filter WTF?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Fuel Filter WTF?!

So today I tried changing my fuel filter for the second time with no success. It started out nicely by spraying gas in my face. Not that stupid, I thought I had depressurized the system. My first time I did this I disconnected the wire from the emergency fuel shut off valve. And then when I went to try to start the engine to make sure it just cranked. This time it started and chugged for about 30 seconds and then died. So I thought I was safe. I went under and disconnected the inlet side of the fuel filter and it sprayed all over the place, thank god I was wearing my safety glasses. So I got that side off, I did not mind the gas because I was successful at getting off that side. I dont plan for it to happen again.

My issue... The outlet side of the damn filter is a smaller size than the inlet size. As a result, both my scissor-like disconnect tool and the little plastic ones dont help at all. What is the deal? Why are they different sizes and does anyone have any suggestions for how to get this POS off? I am thourougly pissed off at this point.

Old 12-11-2006, 06:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that filter is a pain in the a$$. i really had to shove the plastic tool in there.i took a hammer and tapped it in there and twisted filter at the same time.finally it popped it off. i considered taking a hacksaw cutting the line and splicing rubber line there with simple hose clamps i was so pissed. auto zone has a metal tool you can hammer in there.those scissor things did me no good either.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:07 AM
I'm not sure if it will help you but, there is a "How To" remove fuel filter under the technical articles section of this forum. I did read through it relating to the tool utilized for this procedure and it states "use tool". It really does not make mention of what size. I have also changed my filter and it actually went pretty smooth. The tool I used was from NAPA. BoB

Old 12-11-2006, 09:14 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by The Flow-Master
So today I tried changing my fuel filter for the second time with no success. It started out nicely by spraying gas in my face. Not that stupid, I thought I had depressurized the system. My first time I did this I disconnected the wire from the emergency fuel shut off valve. And then when I went to try to start the engine to make sure it just cranked. This time it started and chugged for about 30 seconds and then died. So I thought I was safe. I went under and disconnected the inlet side of the fuel filter and it sprayed all over the place, thank god I was wearing my safety glasses. So I got that side off, I did not mind the gas because I was successful at getting off that side. I dont plan for it to happen again.

My issue... The outlet side of the damn filter is a smaller size than the inlet size. As a result, both my scissor-like disconnect tool and the little plastic ones dont help at all. What is the deal? Why are they different sizes and does anyone have any suggestions for how to get this POS off? I am thourougly pissed off at this point.

At least I'm not the only Same here buddy - it's got me before, you have to unscrew the little valve inside the shrader stem (wrap a rag around it, slow bleeder)- It takes a while to releive all the pressure . They don't tell you that!! If you have a pressure gage , a pair of vice grips on the bleeder works well too.

Trick is , pull it forward first - then backward real fast, it'll work eventually. I use this tool , little more leverage. -

Old 12-11-2006, 09:25 AM
it only took me about 5 mins to change my fuel filter. i just got the tool turned my truck off got under there and popped it off and stuck the new one on. no problems whatsoever. i guess i got lucky after seeing this thread and having a friend call me up ready to take a hacksaw to his asking me what to do.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:32 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by iziris
it only took me about 5 mins to change my fuel filter. i just got the tool turned my truck off got under there and popped it off and stuck the new one on. no problems whatsoever. i guess i got lucky after seeing this thread and having a friend call me up ready to take a hacksaw to his asking me what to do.
That has been my experience as well. Very easy.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by iziris

Or your fuel pressure bleeds itself off - It might depend on how much air you have in the tank - heard that before , but not sure on that one. I know it will bleed itself down threw the O- rings on your injectors. You ever notice at the top there just a little bit dirtier - like they got wet. Most don't replace them because it doesn't effect the way it runs enough to notice or they only leak very little that you don't notice. You'll prolly see what I'm talking about when you look at em the next time and after reading this
But yeah - over time they develop tiny cracks - I need news ones again in fact . This will be my second set in 200,000 miles.

If you let it set for awhile it will bleed off on it's own.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:41 AM
unfortunately i didnt discover this website till after i did my filter. o well live and learn right.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by BlueOval Breath
I'm not sure if it will help you but, there is a "How To" remove fuel filter under the technical articles section of this forum. I did read through it relating to the tool utilized for this procedure and it states "use tool". It really does not make mention of what size. I have also changed my filter and it actually went pretty smooth. The tool I used was from NAPA. BoB
3/8"

Old 12-11-2006, 01:42 PM
Yeah they are a PITA to do... took about 15-20 mins (and a whole lot of expletives LOL) to get my Dad's off.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:46 PM
You need to clean out the connectors, they get full of dirt, mud and other nasty's. A garden hose with a spray nozzle works great. Spray a penatrating oil in them and let them sit for a while.

Clean it clean it clean it, oil it oil it oil it............ shouldn't take more than 5 minutes WITHOUT any problems.

Old 12-11-2006, 02:30 PM

and cus it cus it cus it - Then the dang thing should fall off

Old 12-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Or your fuel pressure bleeds itself off - It might depend on how much air you have in the tank - heard that before , but not sure on that one. I know it will bleed itself down threw the O- rings on your injectors. You ever notice at the top there just a little bit dirtier - like they got wet. Most don't replace them because it doesn't effect the way it runs enough to notice or they only leak very little that you don't notice. You'll prolly see what I'm talking about when you look at em the next time and after reading this
But yeah - over time they develop tiny cracks - I need news ones again in fact . This will be my second set in 200,000 miles.

If you let it set for awhile it will bleed off on it's own.
so are you saying if i get no pressure in my tank my o rings or injectors need to be replaced? i do notice in my wifes car when i take the gas cap off after a good trip i get alot of pressure coming out on the other hand in my truck i never get any pressure when i open the cap.

Old 12-11-2006, 06:23 PM
if you have a leaky injector you will know it.every time ive done a fuel filter in a car i just open up the gas cap relieve pressure that way. never had gas spray everywhere.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Took me maybe 7 minutes last time, and I dont even have the tool to do it.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter WTF?!