Engine is showing its Ford traits

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine is showing its Ford traits

Well, :sigh:... Engine is leaking oil something fierce, looks like the pan gasket and/or rear main seal. Also it looks like it is coming down from atop the engine in the back agaisnt the firewall. Any idea of where this is comming from? Also, the lines from the remote oil filter are always covered in oil. Is it common that these lines leak? Now for the coolant part. I seen a lil puddle on the side of the block next to a freeze plug. Ofcourse its the plug right in front of the engine mount. How do you go about changing that? Have to lift the engine? Its a tight spot.

thanks

Old 12-07-2006, 11:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like the head gasket might be leaking. Mine was leaking down by the firewall like you said and that was it. Look above the starter from beneath the truck. There is a oil passage in the back of the head and the gasket has a little trouble sealing that passage sometimes. Good Luck

Old 12-07-2006, 11:49 PM
Suspended
Yes, its coming down from above the starter side. Is it a potential sign of danger? Or should I leave it alone?

Old 12-08-2006, 12:16 AM
It depends on how bad it is leaking.

Old 12-08-2006, 10:05 AM
A leak, whether it be from a motor, pool, faucet, security, or even your urethra, needs to be fixed.

Get'r done.

Joey

Old 12-08-2006, 10:47 AM
Chevy

Originally Posted by Camarothatcould
Yes, its coming down from above the starter side. Is it a potential sign of danger? Or should I leave it alone?
I see your a chevy guy. Lets start from the begining. Did you put the caps on? Two, don't put any "chevy in a can on it" AKA, Bondo also black pepper won't work, and neither will stop leak. Now that all you GM fixits are out of the way, Please ensure your putting the right weight of oil in the vehicle, and check the tightness of all fittings. Next I would put a pressure test on your coolling system (with a coolant pressure testing kit, not a fat girl in the bed of your truck). That test may identify where your leaks are coming from. Next steam clean your engine, then top off your oil. Run te engine and look for fresh oil. I agree it may be a head gasket so double check the mixing of fluids. If these steps don't lead you into the right direction I would advise scanning your ECU for any faults on your cylinders. Pull your spark plugs and inspect for proper wear. Any performance changes?

Old 12-08-2006, 11:05 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, :sigh:... Engine is leaking oil something fierce, looks like the pan gasket and/or rear main seal. Also it looks like it is coming down from atop the engine in the back agaisnt the firewall. Any idea of where this is comming from?
Head gasket. Sorry.
Also, the lines from the remote oil filter are always covered in oil. Is it common that these lines leak?
Not really, but the gasket between the oil cooler and the block is a common failure.
Now for the coolant part. I seen a lil puddle on the side of the block next to a freeze plug. Ofcourse its the plug right in front of the engine mount. How do you go about changing that? Have to lift the engine? Its a tight spot.

thanks
You'd probably have to remove the motor mount and lift the engine with a pole jack or something to get to it. If you're gonna fix your oil leak, the best bet would be to pull the engine and reseal everything right. Lots easier to do with the engine out of the truck on a stand.

Old 12-08-2006, 02:44 PM
If you have the engine out, and it's like the '92 do the sump gasket too, mine leaked like anything - you could actually see where I'd driven, it dripped so much. I have a small leak in the front seal but apparently they're easy to do.

You should also do the front and rear seals, regardless if it's out of the truck, they'll need doing sooner or later....

There might be a dye you can add to the oil to help you localise the leak.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fix those remote oil lines before they let go. mine blew on me doing 40 .lost 5 quarts in about 10 seconds. no engine damage ,got lucky. those lines usually last awhile. lasted 9 years on mine. ford wanted 140$. might be able to find some aftermarket ones.

Old 12-08-2006, 04:04 PM
Suspended
I had read about your oil lines on another thread, thats why I brought them up. This truck is the only thing I have for the winter, so until I have my Camaro up for the summer, I cant do anything major to it. Yes I run the right weight oil and no there is no sign of mixing fluids at all, and I know it has been leaking for a long time since the gunk build up was tremendous around the rear of pan. Thing has 151,000 miles on it, so If I were to pull the engine and redo all the seals, I would rather get a Windsor goin instead of doing hundreds of dollars worth of gaskets and junk and only have the engine last a few more years...

Old 12-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Suspended
No performance changes. its pretty much been the same thing since I bought it with 134,000 miles. If I havent mentioned it yet, I also have the "tick"

Old 12-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I had read about your oil lines on another thread, thats why I brought them up. This truck is the only thing I have for the winter, so until I have my Camaro up for the summer, I cant do anything major to it. Yes I run the right weight oil and no there is no sign of mixing fluids at all, and I know it has been leaking for a long time since the gunk build up was tremendous around the rear of pan. Thing has 151,000 miles on it, so If I were to pull the engine and redo all the seals, I would rather get a Windsor goin instead of doing hundreds of dollars worth of gaskets and junk and only have the engine last a few more years...
You'd only spend maybe two or three hundred bucks for gaskets, bolts, block plugs, etc. If it were mine, that's what I'd do, pull it and reseal the whole thing, get it out the way.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:14 PM
Suspended
Were talking head gaskets and everything. It wont be that big of a chore at all, these mod motors go together easy, and with getting a employee discount for the parts, helps alot. Meanwhile I'll keep my eye out for a 5.4 long block.

Old 12-09-2006, 09:51 AM
[QUOTE=REBSR76]I see your a chevy guy. Lets start from the begining. Did you put the caps on? Two, don't put any "chevy in a can on it" AKA, Bondo also black pepper won't work, and neither will stop leak. Now that all you GM fixits are out of the way, QUOTE]

You have to use strange and crazy ideas such as these to fix a Chevy, because its strange and crazy for something to go wrong with it. I have owned three Fords now and this will prolly be my last. Nothing serious wrong with it, but stuff that has never went wrong with my good ole bowties!

Old 12-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Good thread! I'm a young ford owner, excluding the old farm truck(thats still running great), I have been reading my *** off to get aquainted with the ford problems. Chevy has its own set of problems that are different than Ford for sure. I had to come to terms with how I felt about the big switch. I have worked in the automotive industry for 15 years now. I'm comfortable with most Chevy designs and their flaws. Ford on the other hand uses so many things different that I need to rethink a lot. Overall Ford trucks seem to hold up better but both do well. I noticed "the tick" coment. Would someone expound on that please? Is that the 5.4 sounds like a quiet deisel at idle tick? I read and was told about the TSB reguarding the timing chain guide/tensioner replacement to solve this. Same thing? anyone done just that? I have learned long ago to use 5w20 for sure and do so. didnt change noise or anything. Runs good but gas milage is 12.6-12.9 over all. 4x4 and screw doesnt help I know lol. T

Last edited by tsark; 12-09-2006 at 02:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine is showing its Ford traits