Engine Whirring on front passenger side. Injector?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Whirring on front passenger side. Injector?

I have a 2000 Expedition 5.4L and my wife noticed a whirring noise coming from the engine. I opened the hood and I did hear it from the front passenger side. It seems like is coming from the forward fuel injector. My wife describes the sound as a steady distant weed wacker.

Has anyone heard of a noisy injector or could it be something else? I was thinking of changing the injector this weeked.

If I change one injector, should I change all of them on that side?

Thanks

Old 12-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by DHoot
I have a 2000 Expedition 5.4L and my wife noticed a whirring noise coming from the engine. I opened the hood and I did hear it from the front passenger side. It seems like is coming from the forward fuel injector. My wife describes the sound as a steady distant weed wacker.

Has anyone heard of a noisy injector or could it be something else? I was thinking of changing the injector this weeked.

If I change one injector, should I change all of them on that side?

Thanks

Just unplug one at a time while it's idleing to see if it stops - just to make sure. It won't hurt anything just doing for a short period, I doubt you'll even get a check engine light , but if you do , just reboot your PCM .
Prolly a vac leak .

Old 12-07-2006, 07:52 PM
I have a 2000 Expedition 5.4L and my wife noticed a whirring noise coming from the engine. .... ....Has anyone heard of a noisy injector or could it be something else?
NO NO NO, that's just the sound of the turbocharger. Don't worry, they make that kind of racket!

Old 12-07-2006, 09:53 PM
Or like I tell people, it's my supercharger. Kidding aside, the culprit may be a idler pulley or tensioner pulley. Someone else just recently cured theirs by fixing the tensioner.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by chester8420
NO NO NO, that's just the sound of the turbocharger. Don't worry, they make that kind of racket!

Yeah, it will sound allot better after you hit the GO button

Last edited by jbrew; 12-08-2006 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Might be an idler pulley or something on the front of the engine making noise. If it's more of a clicking type noise, try replacing the PCV valve. The spring inside them breaks sometimes, causing a ticking that'll transfer all along the valve cover making you think the engine's coming apart. It's pretty damn loud, louder than you'd think.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:59 AM
I took off the injector connectors last night and no change. As I brought the rpm's up the sound changed very slightly but it did not get any louder. It gets hard to hear when that fan gets going. I did notice that when I shut off the engine it was the last sound to die off. It seemed to stay noisy even when the rest of the engine was not running for about a second.

I began to suspect a noisy water pump or a timing belt tensioner. Quintin, I will try replacing the PCV valve first. We noticed this problem about the same time as the vacuum leak problem. Maybe we are just more sensitive to the engine now.

This is a great site. I feel like I am back at home with all my motorhead buddies.

That turbocharger is must be working real good considering how loud it is.

Thanks

Last edited by DHoot; 12-08-2006 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:56 PM
I find a stethoscope very useful in this sort of troubleshooting, you can get them at auto parts stores, tool shops and some electronic hobby places quite cheaply - you can also use a piece of wood or metal, but the stethoscope'll do a better job.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
an old wooden broomhandle works well in a pinch.

Old 12-08-2006, 04:47 PM

Grad the 1/2 breaker bar, reduce to 3/8 (I think it's 3/8) - What ever fits the tensioner pully - Pull the Serp. belt off the truck if it helps . Your can start it cold without the belt - You prolly have a 5 minute window to pinpoint the prob before it starts to heat up on yuh.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:26 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Quintin
Might be an idler pulley or something on the front of the engine making noise. If it's more of a clicking type noise, try replacing the PCV valve. The spring inside them breaks sometimes, causing a ticking that'll transfer all along the valve cover making you think the engine's coming apart. It's pretty damn loud, louder than you'd think.
Thank you Quintin! I replaced the pcv valve and the noise disappeared. I used an aftermarket valve. Do you recommend a Motorcraft pcv valve?

Old 12-27-2006, 02:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thank you Quintin! I replaced the pcv valve and the noise disappeared. I used an aftermarket valve. Do you recommend a Motorcraft pcv valve?
Cool.

I strongly recommend Motorcraft parts all around, and especially with PCV valves. Essentially, a PCV valve is a calibrated vacuum leak. Using a valve that isn't operating within the set parameters that the factory and engineers deemed may cause some driveability problems.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:40 AM
I just wanted to chime in as well as thank you guys. I had the exact same problem, replaced the PCV valve, noise is gone!

Quick Reply: Engine Whirring on front passenger side. Injector?