Whats this harness for???

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 08:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Whats this harness for???

Alrighty, Ive had this plug hanging in my engine compartment for as long as I can remember, and just finally got around to posting this pic up.

For reference, this pic is taken from under the front of the pickup, facing to the back. The engine fan is right above me-thats the swaybar right close at the bottom of the pic, and you can see a pulley/belt up at the top of the pic.

Any idea what its for?

Old 12-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
EVO steering. My '99 CV-P71 is also wired for it, but not equipped.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ahhh, interesting.

Thank you

Old 12-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's EVO steering?

Which leads me to another question/musing:

With electronic devices being so common and reliable, and often cheaper to manufacture than hydraulic ones, why is power steering still hydraulic? You would think it'd be very, very easy to devise electric-assisted steering...and think of the messy systems you'd do away with. The need for a larger alternator would no doubt be offset by eliminating the power steering pump...and it'd be quite simple to still have manual steering as a back-up (and it mightn't be as heavy as steering without hydraulics is, as you'd only be turning against an electric motor which might even be able to be disengaged when not in use - and it'd be easy to have graduated power steering (full at low speeds, almost off at high speeds) with electronic control.

Whoever takes this idea and makes a fortune with it, can just keep me supplied with vehicles as payment

Old 12-08-2006, 12:06 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1) Electronic Variable Orifice

2) Axe yourself why diesel fuel injectors are each electronically controlled, but operated by engine oil pressure. And why variable valve timing (VVT) servos are, too. Electricity is fast, but at 12V, it takes a LOT of current to be strong. Hydraulic flow is much slower to start up, but when it's available, it's pretty quick to redirect, and VERY strong.

Maybe your elec-assist steering will be implemented when the next generation of 42V vehicles come out. They'll require ~1/4 the current to get the same power.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:13 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There's a few Hondas and Toyotas that have electric steering. Hybrid Escapes and Mariners have electric steering.

Quick Reply: Whats this harness for???