Chronic cooling system problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chronic cooling system problems

I have a 1999 F150 with a 5.4. About a year after I bought it the radiator got a leak. Since it was under warranty I took it to the dealership and they replaced the radiator. Approx. 8 months later, same problem. Again I took it to the dealership and they replaced it. Then about 6 months later same thing. Then the heater core started leaking. However the truck was no longer under warranty and they said it was had nothing to do with the radiator so they wouldnt cover parts and labor to replace it, which would have been about $1000 that I didnt have. So I just went without heater and defroster for a while. During this time the radiator went out 3 or so more times, and the dealership said they placed 5 additional grounds on it to keep electrolisis down. The radiator hasnt had a problem since, but I had the heater core replaced about a month ago and it is already leaking again. I have a feeling it has turned into the weak point of the cooling system and is going to continue to have problems.

I was wondering if anyone has had this same problem or has heard of anything like this. I would like to try to better understand it but no one at the dealership will give me any details on whats wrong or why its doing it. In total I'm at 8 radiators and 3 heater cores in about 4 years.

Any info or opinions would be appreciated.

Old 12-06-2006, 06:07 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have replaced 8 cores. Read this http://www.usaradiator.com/informati...icle%20pdf.pdf

JMC

Old 12-06-2006, 06:53 PM
I would suggest you contact the dealer and explain you feel the problem is still his to fix. This is because the true problem had not been fixed in the first place!
Replacing that many radiators should tell any mech with a brain he is fixing the result not the problem!!
Take them to small claims if you have to!

Old 12-06-2006, 08:49 PM
I also have a 99'. No problems. Changed coolant this summer 1st time, it looked new.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:18 PM
I finally had the heater core replaced by the dealership last month so it is still under warranty. It really bothers me that the dealership wouldnt take the time to find what was causing the problem after the 2nd or 3rd time. A service technician at the dealership I go to now told me that the other dealership was notorius for trying to fix stuff just enough where it would hold up untill the warranty was up and go out again so you would have to pay full price to have it fixed. The dealership I bought it from also neglected to tell me the frame was bent(had it checked by 2 independent mechanics) and that the engine had been completely rebuilt. None of this info was on carfax either.

Last edited by HeartlessTrav; 12-06-2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:52 PM
I'm on my third rad, first cost me, Ford was waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy cheaper than anyone else for a replacement, 222 bucks vs. 385-400 plus. That one lasted 13 months, still got part warranty even though I was a month out, maybe it's because I'm so damn nice. This one has been great, good luck to you brother.

Old 12-07-2006, 04:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
excess pressure

The first thing to come to mind is excess pressure, probably from a leaking head gasket. I read that there is a way to check the coolant for exhaust gas contamination, but I don't remember the specifics. It seems like just a simple chemical strip you dipped in the coolant. Anyway the excess pressure theory is the first thing I would chase. Just my suggestion.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:49 PM
I think there was a thread about this a little while ago, and I think the reason you're all having so many radiator failures is electrolysis....there's a faulty or missing ground, and the electrical system, maybe something on the engine, is trying to ground itself through the coolant, which sets up an electrolytic action...which means your radiator and other cooling system components (like engine block and head) are being eaten away - it's just that the radiator's the thinnest and most susceptible...and possible also made of a metal that's being affected more....are any of these radiators the plastic tank variety? That would narrow it down to the core/fins.

Not sure how you'd check the ground effectively with a regular multimeter but do a search on this, I know it's on this forum somewhere. You could probably just try adding extra grounds but possibly you may want to avoid just grounding the radiator as that might exacerbate it, since the system's already following a ground path through the radiator.

Any of you with this issue ought to contact the manufacturer of the coolant also, maybe even send them a sample of the used coolant - they should have the wherewithall to test it, and if my hunch is correct, there'll be a lot of metal (ions?) in the coolant.

Old 12-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there is a test to check for leaking head gasket.i can remember exactly what the procedure is. i want to say there is some type of dye involved . dont quote me though.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:10 PM
The dealer I have been going through lately actually gave me a full service history of anything that has been done by Ford. The head gasket has been replaced once and checked 3 times. 8 radiators replaced and this is the 3rd heater core. The first response to my original post has a good article linked in it. Thanks for all the help.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:12 PM
I have a similiar problem. About 4 years ago, the driverside head directly beneath the thermostat housing was eaten away from the inside and a pin hole devoloped. I had the head replaced and 1 year later the heater core went. After the first head failure I changed the thermostat and coolent yearly thinking it was a coolent issue. Recently, I replaced the rad, water pump, and thermostat and within a few weeks the head gasket failed, I was in the process of replacing the head gasket, and low and behold, the head is wearing out in the same spot along with the intake!!! Time to replace the motor, as I'm sure there is corrosion elsewhere. 4.6L w/280,000 km (~175,000 miles)

Old 12-16-2006, 03:13 AM
My radiator started leaking this week. It had a hole near the return hose, where a fin meets the body. I loosened my resevoir cap, and drove to my girlfriend's. I JB welded it back that evening, and refilled the resevoir. The next morning, it didn't leak a drop, but this week, it has developed 3 more leaks, all in the top of the radiator. So I dumped a bottle of "bar's" stop-leak in it and it hasn't given me a minutes trouble since. I knew that bars was some amazing stuff, but I didn't expect it to work as good as it did. I got a new radiator wating for me at the house.

If you have chronic radiator trouble, keep a bottle of bars with you. They have several kinds, but the best one comes in a grey bottle with a black top. It looks like runny dookey.

Old 12-16-2006, 04:38 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
My last trip to the dunes caused a leak in on of the fins of the rad. it was noticed on the trip home when we stopped for supper. A big puddlel of antifreeze under the truck. Needle nose Vice grips pinched the tubes and a bottle of Prestone® Super Radiator Sealer has kept it closed since august....

JMC

Old 12-16-2006, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by chester8420
My radiator started leaking this week. It had a hole near the return hose, where a fin meets the body. I loosened my resevoir cap, and drove to my girlfriend's. I JB welded it back that evening, and refilled the resevoir. The next morning, it didn't leak a drop, but this week, it has developed 3 more leaks, all in the top of the radiator. So I dumped a bottle of "bar's" stop-leak in it and it hasn't given me a minutes trouble since. I knew that bars was some amazing stuff, but I didn't expect it to work as good as it did. I got a new radiator wating for me at the house.

If you have chronic radiator trouble, keep a bottle of bars with you. They have several kinds, but the best one comes in a grey bottle with a black top. It looks like runny dookey.
It's great stuff until your heat quits because the stop-leak clogs it entirely.

I haven't ever had any such problems with my trucks, but I did with an Olds a long time ago. Turned out there was something wrong with the radiator cap and it would let pressure out. The caps on the reservoir on these trucks are suppose to release at 16psi. If it doesn't, the pressure builds until it blows.

Old 12-16-2006, 07:59 PM
My wifes thunderbird went through a radiator and 3 heater cores in 1 year. I found the problem to be well water in the mix. Since I put in #4 heater core and went to pre-mix coolant, no more takin the dash out. ( that was about 2 years ago )

Quick Reply: Chronic cooling system problems