What should I be aware of?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should I be aware of?

Just got my 05 5.4 a couple weeks ago.. What are some of the things I need to know about this engine? Just talking about things to watch out for. Thanks

Old 12-02-2006, 11:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
People driving to slow in the rockin lane - little old men with big hats in big cars on Sunday, keep in mind that they always have the rightofway

The only concern I would have is changing the plugs , there hard to get out now and may break off in the attempt. Be careful there and use a sparkplug socket with the foam incert.

Enjoy your ride , there a sweet truck!!

Old 12-03-2006, 08:09 PM
Thanks. Only have 16k on it..are guys chaging out the factory installed plugs just to get them out of there, or can I wait till about 50k? I installed irridium plugs in my Camaro and noticed an immediate difference in response. If I need to get these factory installed plugs out I'll probably put these in.
Thanks

Old 12-04-2006, 12:41 AM
If you only have that many miles I wouldnt be worried about anything for another 35k miles at least! Just change the oil and filter when you are supposed to.

Old 12-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
A lot of guys have complained about a "ticking" sound coming from the 5.4 engine while it's running -- especially at idle. In most cases, it turns out to be the fuel injectors, which tend to run a little bit noisy on these trucks.

Also, the spark plug issue is one that I've been keeping my eye on. I put so few miles on my truck in a year (I purchased an '05 brand new and only have 878 miles on as of today) that I figure by the time I need to worry about the plugs I'll either be dead, or Ford will have come up with a method to safely remove the plugs from the head.....

Old 12-04-2006, 11:56 PM
that's funny...

these are the exact things I'm talking about, just inherent problems..I definiteley have that ticking issue. Does it matter what plugs are in there or is it just the first factory set that are tough to come out?

Thanks all

Quick Reply: What should I be aware of?