4.6 engine replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.6 engine replacement

My 97 F150 has a cracked block. it's a 4.6 romeo,what engines will match to the automatic trans

Old 12-01-2006, 01:34 PM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
avey,
97 4.6 Romeo blocks are rather rare in trucks but after 2000 they are quite common. Any 4.6 with a 6 bolt crank will fit. You can put in a Windsor motor but will need the matching 8 bolt flex plate.
There are many engines on eBay at real bargain prices.
Here is a good link for engines but take note, most of their 4.6 engines are Mustang engines. No real problem, you will have to change out the cams if you get a complete long block. This may be a good time to just get a late model PI engine for your truck.
http://www.karkraft.com/
Good luck and have fun.

Old 12-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by avey
My 97 F150 has a cracked block. it's a 4.6 romeo,what engines will match to the automatic trans
Any 5.4 or 4.6 will bolt to your 4R70W auto transmission. They share the same engine block, hense the bellhousing has the same bolt pattern.

But like WLF mentioned you might need a different flex plate depending on which engine you install.

One other thing of note. The '97 4.6 had Coil Packs and the 5.4 had Coil On Plugs (COPs). You can make the 5.4 run in your truck, but you will have to use your 4.6 wiring harness, fab brakets for the Coil Packs and ditch the COPs.
The same goes for running a 4.6 manufactured after '99, plus you need a different Intake as after '99 they started using PI heads and they are ported different. If you are going for a PI head get an engine manufactured after or for 2002 as that is when they started fully threading the Spark Plug holes.

I know from experience installing a 2004 4.6 into a 1997, that the 2004 intake needs to have 2 modifications done by a machine shop. (Cost me $60)

Doug

Last edited by DDan1967; 12-10-2006 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:09 PM
will the intake and exhaust manifolds fit the windsor block, as well as everything else

Old 12-23-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by avey
will the intake and exhaust manifolds fit the windsor block, as well as everything else
If you stay with a 4.6 and stay with a pre PI head engine then the Intake and Exhausts are the same.

If you switch to a PI head engine then the Intake and Exhaust manifolds are different because the heads are ported differently.

There are also other considerations with a later model engine, because after '99 they started using COPs instead of Coil Packs & Spark Plug Wires.

I am presently installing a 2004 engine in my 1997 F150. I've had some intake modifications done at a machine shop. I've had to reused the front cover from my old engine and all my wiring. I'm installing a performance exhaust manifold so I don't have to deal with that.

There are other considerations that I intend to detail as when I complete my install.

Good Luck,
Doug

Old 12-24-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by DDan1967
Any 5.4 or 4.6 will bolt to your 4R70W auto transmission. They share the same engine block, hense the bellhousing has the same bolt pattern.

But like WLF mentioned you might need a different flex plate depending on which engine you install.

One other thing of note. The '97 4.6 had Coil Packs and the 5.4 had Coil On Plugs (COPs). You can make the 5.4 run in your truck, but you will have to use your 4.6 wiring harness, fab brakets for the Coil Packs and ditch the COPs.
The same goes for running a 4.6 manufactured after '99, plus you need a different Intake as after '99 they started using PI heads and they are ported different. If you are going for a PI head get an engine manufactured after or for 2002 as that is when they started fully threading the Spark Plug holes.

I know from experience installing a 2004 4.6 into a 1997, that the 2004 intake needs to have 2 modifications done by a machine shop. (Cost me $60)

Doug
The 4.6 and 5.4 DO NOT share the same block. The 5.4 has a taller deck height to make room for the longer stroke. Due to the taller block and longer stroke, the 5.4's intake must be wider, and of course it has a different crank, rods, etc. ALL Windsor motors (4.6 included) all have the 8 bolt flexplate/fly-wheel vs. the Romeo's 6. All 5.4's and 4.6's have the same transmission bolt-pattern. They all use the same transmissions. If you go with any Windsor motor, however, you will need to buy a new flexplate to make it work.

The 4.6 changeover to PI didn't happen until 2001. And even so, there were still a large number of 2001's that still had the non-PI motor because they were using up the non-PI's they still had on-hand. 5.4's went through the changeover in 99. The Romeo's had full-thread plug holes all the way through the production, both pre and post PI. The Windsor's had the half-thread holes all the way through, pre and post PI.

4.6's went COP in 2000. If a 2000 and up engine is used in a 97-99 4.6 Truck, you must re-use your timing cover from the old engine. Otherwise, you won't have anywhere to mount your coil packs. If your timing cover is damaged/cracked too, you will need to find another one.

Quick Reply: 4.6 engine replacement