Automatic Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automatic Start

Thinking about having a remote auto-start installed on my 04 XLT.
Any suggestions or horror stories before I do this?

Thanks!

Old 11-30-2006, 01:17 PM
Every vehicle I own has one on it. At least did. Gotta get one on my contour next tue. Already got an appointment set up.
I like the code alarm. The keypads look more like the factory. Be sure to get the long range. I've had viper. I liked it just as much.
Hope this helps, bullseye670..............

Old 11-30-2006, 01:31 PM
Don't go for the cheapest price!!! Proper installation is everything with those things. I've seen some pretty bad wiring jobs in my time. Take it to a good custom shop. I've had the best luck with Viper or any DEI products. Range is very important. There is a good amount of current running through some of those wires and we don't need any fires! I would also make sure the remote can run your locks so you don't have to carry two.

FishX65

Old 11-30-2006, 03:51 PM
OK I have a question for you guys, having moved from a warm climate I've never had anything to do with remote starters - ok you have your engine warming up you unlock the truck with the key or the remote, do you then put the key in the ignition and turn it to ignition on (without turning the starter obviously) or do you switch off and restart it? I'm assuming you want to have the keys in 1) for ease of turning off and in case you stall and 2) so the steering column lock's disengaged.

Am I right? And with the "manual option available" - my standard truck needs the clutch to be depressed for it to start, I presume you park with the emergency brake off, and this thing bypasses the switch on the clutch?

Old 11-30-2006, 07:08 PM
You just get in and turn the key to the "on" position, or the car will shut down as soon as you step on the brake. The manual shift model will cost more, and e-brake must be engaged.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:26 PM
Alot of us guys have used Travis at kcautosound.com He will prewire a system for you with a self installation guide and give you top notch tech service if you get jammed up. Just do a search for travis or kcautosound and you'll see what I mean.

I know by talking to him that he sells Compustar units that feature manual transmission remote starts. Some others as well.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:51 AM
I looked at his site. I don't recall his price but for 168 bucks I can get a long range installed with the door looks. That not very much more than the do it yourself price.
There is a lot of wiring, by the looks of things. Then again, the kids doing it at the shops don't look like rocket scientists.
I've always liked doing things myself, heck I did all my friends stereos way back in high school.
Guess I shouldn't admit this but I was an electronics tech in the navy (25 years ago). Would still pay the $168 to have it with the install.

Quick Reply: Automatic Start