Spark Plugs????

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark Plugs????

Hey guys my '97 4.6L is just about to turn 60K, and the ford service manual says that i need to replace the plugs. After reading all of these horror stories about blown plugs i'm not sure if i want to touch them since they aren't giving me any problems(knock on wood). Should i replace them now or should i wait, and should i replace the coils at the same time as the wires and plugs? BTW if i do replace the plugs now what should i torque them to?

P.S. does anyone have any opinions on the Bosch Platinum 4s?

Old 11-28-2006, 08:32 PM
60K on a '97? Low miles for sure. BUT, they have been in there for 10 years. Do you drive it every day? If so, that's a lot of heat cycles. And the horror stories are true. I'm not sure if i would touch them myself, or pay someone to do it. But it should be done. Yeah, sorry. Not much help.
The coils should be fine. Most platinum plugs are good. Bosch may be a little better.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by flareside4life
Hey guys my '97 4.6L is just about to turn 60K, and the ford service manual says that i need to replace the plugs. After reading all of these horror stories about blown plugs i'm not sure if i want to touch them since they aren't giving me any problems(knock on wood). Should i replace them now or should i wait, and should i replace the coils at the same time as the wires and plugs? BTW if i do replace the plugs now what should i torque them to?

I'll probably have the dealer do my plugs soon. Mine's an 03 with almost 69,000 miles. While talking to our service guy @ Ford, he told me that when the plugs wear down, it makes the coils work harder...possibly burning them up. He also told me to check the gap and if it's between .056-.059 I should be ok. But, it's my daily driver and I put on anywhere from 320-345 miles a week.

Mike

Old 11-28-2006, 10:23 PM
Coil over plug failure

Originally Posted by flareside4life

Yes my friend, the stories are for real. I have had problems this year with 2 blown plugs. I have a 2000 4.6 (82k). I would have them changed at the dealer, or a VERY GOOD NATION-WIDE repair chain that will give you a stable warranty. Not sure about the bosch brand; however, do install platinum....

Old 11-28-2006, 11:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I normally don't go over 60Kish or so in my personal vehicles.

Forget Bosch. Use Motorcrafts or (in a pinch) Autolite. No anti-seize on the threads. Tighten the new plugs down by hand 'till they bottom out, then go another 1/8 turn or so and you'll be fine as frog's hair.

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs????