Noisy PCV valve 5.4L 2001

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Noisy PCV valve 5.4L 2001

Hey guys, newbie to the forum and proud new owner of a 2001 F150 Supercrew Lariat 5.4L.

I am going to the dealership I bought it from (Luther Chev in Hudson WI) and having them take a look at the truck as it was misfiring badly on the way home on saturday! I have read through this forum about the COP and it was my first thought as well, I understand they can be had for cheap on FleaBay, but I am going to try to have the dealership replace whatever they can.

My Big question however is about the PCV valve on the passenger side. When I open the hood there is a horrible buzzing sound, I tracked it to the PCV, pulled the pcv from the valve cover and noticed it the little valve inside was vibrating and causing the noise? What is the cause of this and is it as simple as just replacing the PCV valve? Is is somehow related to the misfire?

Thanks In advance.

Josh

Old 11-06-2006, 03:10 PM
As simple as replacing it, they are like 5 bucks.

Mine did the same thing, but I could hear it inside the cab too. Thought it was a pully at first, but a nice piece of plastic hose pinpointed that problem.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Thats what I wanted to hear Hopefully they will do that at the dealership, but if not, I'll just go pick one up.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by Jbrobeck
Thats what I wanted to hear Hopefully they will do that at the dealership, but if not, I'll just go pick one up.
If you found that to be the problem, it just pulls out of the hose. Finding and waiting in line at the parts store is the worst part of it. unless it's under warrenty, you should just do it yourself and not get charged more that it's really worth to do.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:37 PM
Everything is under warranty so thats not an issue, I will probably be replacing the remaining COP's that they don't replace under warranty on my own. I am a fairly experienced shade tree mechanic, I am just not very familiar with these mod motors.

Thanks for the help, I am sure to have other questions in time!

Josh

Quick Reply: Noisy PCV valve 5.4L 2001