98 F150 Oil Pump Location

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 12:54 AM
eGo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 F150 Oil Pump Location

Hello All,

I'm sorry if this is a repost, I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for. I've got a 98 F150 Lariat with 215k on it. Up until last week I've had no issues with it (still really no "issues"). Last week it started getting really cold here and I've noticed when I first start my truck I have no Oil Pressure, so says the gauge. I'm not seeing any temp differences or hearing any valves rattle or anything, and once the truck has warmed up a bit the oil pressure maintains just fine. Is this just due to the cold? When I do the next Oil Change I'm going to go ahead and get some High Mileage oil to put in and see what that does for me. Does this sound like it could be the oil pump? If so, where is it located? In the pan, or on the front of the motor? I only ask because I had a 91 Cougar with the dreaded 3.8L V6 and it's oil pump was mounted on the front and I wouldn't touch it. Something else the truck has been doing for about a year now, which may just be due to it's mileage, is that when it's first started up it sounds (really it does) like an 18 Wheeler does when it's going through it's first few gears. The motor does anyways. I know that may be kind of vague but it's the best way I know how to describe what I'm talking about. Any info would be appreciated.

TIA

eGo

Old 10-24-2006, 02:10 AM
more then likey its the gauge. its a potenitmeter or how ever you spell it. and im pretty sure its a dummy gauge like on my 2000. its either reading 0 pressure or normal there is no high middle or anything its either working or not. i would check that first and if it turns out oil pump its in the pan

Old 10-24-2006, 03:06 AM
Also make sure you are using a filter with an anti-drainback valve. Some cheaper filters do not have them, or have ones that don't work, and the oil drains back out of the filter and oil passages overnight, so when you start in the morning it has to pump up the filter and oil passages again. The high-mileage oil won't do anything for you - just make sure you are using the proper viscosity (5w-30).

Old 10-24-2006, 08:55 PM
eGo
Thanks!

Appreciate that info, I'll look into that.. The lights in my cluster are bad on one side and I've been looking to buy a replacement anyways, so I may go ahead and just do that. I know what a motor sounds like when it's low on oil and I've never heard the tell tale signs. And the dipstick reads fine, so I guess I won't worry too much about it atm. I may throw a seperate Oil Gauge on it and see what it shows me. Gonna change the oil this weekend and I'll see what I come up with..

Would still like to know where the oil pump is located though

Thanks Again!

eGo

Old 10-25-2006, 06:19 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
On the 4.6/54 is is driven by the crank shaft. It inside the front cover behind the timing chains. On the 4.2 it is on the end of the oil filter housing.

JMC

Old 10-25-2006, 08:50 PM
eGo
Originally Posted by JMC
On the 4.6/54 is is driven by the crank shaft. It inside the front cover behind the timing chains. On the 4.2 it is on the end of the oil filter housing.

JMC
Wonderful.. I was fearing that would be the case.. I have the 5.4L Triton.. *sigh* Anywho, I'm going to try the other things first and hope I don't have to worry about replacing the oil pump..

Thanks!

eGo

Old 10-25-2006, 11:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
HI!... Here's the oil pump on the 4.6/5.4 :

FRONT :

BACK :

INSTALLED :

Old 10-27-2006, 02:24 PM
is that a pic of the motor before or after it grenaded this time? is it going to fit in the ranger enginr bay?

Quick Reply: 98 F150 Oil Pump Location