Fuel Pump???????HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel Pump???????HELP!!!

Ok, Ive got an issue with my 1997 F150 xlt 4.2 L V6.
The check engine light came on some time ago but I was having no problems with the vehicle whatsover. Never do. Well, two days ago after a routine oil change and the check engine light still being on, the truck has begun running really sluggishly as if it wasnt getting enough fuel to accelerate or I had gotten some bad gas. The last time the check engine light came on and I was having fuel related issues, all I needed to do was change out the fuel filter and it went off and began running good again. Ive changed the fuel filter and everything else in the engine checks out okay. Would this be signs of a bad fuel pump? What are the signs of a fuel pump going bad?? Please let me know of any suggesstions, ideas, or info!!!! It shakes a little when accelerating and sounds & feels like its struggling to go. But only when accelerating. It starts just fine, idles just fine, and seems to accelerate okay at really low RPM's. Its the transition from low RPMs to high RPMs that is really shaky and feels terrible. Please send info!!!
Thanks in advance

Old 10-13-2006, 02:19 AM
Sounds like another engine misfire.

Do a search here and find lots of info on this.

I am having problems with this myself.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by Tekg80
Ok, Ive got an issue with my 1997 F150 xlt 4.2 L V6.
The check engine light came on some time ago but I was having no problems with the vehicle whatsover. Never do. Well, two days ago after a routine oil change and the check engine light still being on, the truck has begun running really sluggishly as if it wasnt getting enough fuel to accelerate or I had gotten some bad gas. The last time the check engine light came on and I was having fuel related issues, all I needed to do was change out the fuel filter and it went off and began running good again. Ive changed the fuel filter and everything else in the engine checks out okay. Would this be signs of a bad fuel pump? What are the signs of a fuel pump going bad?? Please let me know of any suggesstions, ideas, or info!!!! It shakes a little when accelerating and sounds & feels like its struggling to go. But only when accelerating. It starts just fine, idles just fine, and seems to accelerate okay at really low RPM's. Its the transition from low RPMs to high RPMs that is really shaky and feels terrible. Please send info!!!
Thanks in advance
have you tryed changing the spark plugs & leads they might be breaking down at high revs

Old 10-13-2006, 08:03 AM
I agree. But just for simplicities sake, GET THE CODES READ. Its free if you go to just about any auto parts store (especially the major ones).

Old 10-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Both Advance and Autozone will read the codes for free and tell you what they mean.

To check the fuel pump, put the window down and get in the cab. Turn the key to "on" but don't start the motor. You should hear a whirr from under the car for about 2 seconds, and then it will click off. Some people can't hear it from the cab, so get a helper to turn the key and you scoot right under the gas tank. If it's a really weak or quiet whirr the pump might be going.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump???????HELP!!!