97 Expedition 5.4 Starts then dies

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 Expedition 5.4 Starts then dies

I have a 97 Expediton with the 5.4 with 126k miles. For the past couple of weeks I have been having problems with it starting in the morning. It starts, then dies. This happens a fews times but eventually I can get it running. The theft light flashes rapidly when this happens. Once it has started, it runs great. My husband replaced the IAC yesterday and it did the same thing this morning, started and died. Any suggestions as to what to do now???

Thanks!!!!

Old 09-25-2006, 10:49 PM
My truck did this the first winter I got it...you'd start it in the morning and it'd die immediately. The only way to keep it running was to give it gas, and it'd eventually go on it's own. I ran a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through it, and haven't had it happen in almost 2 years.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:00 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
If it has not been changed recently, change fuel filter.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:15 AM
The theft light flashing seems to indicate a problem with the key or the ignition switch. If you had had a new key made at the hardware store that didn't have a chip in it then the truck would start then die then would not start again with that key. Maybe your key was damaged and the chip isn't getting read correctly by the ignition switch.

Quick Reply: 97 Expedition 5.4 Starts then dies