Swapping a SOHC 4.6L for a DOHC 4.6L

Old 08-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swapping a SOHC 4.6L for a DOHC 4.6L

Hello, I have a 1999 F-150 Lariat 4x2 stepside with a SOHC 4.6L pushing 160,000 miles. It is a beautiful truck and I have had many people admire it or ask me if it is a HD model. Even people that don't care for Fords have told me that they like my truck.

The engine is running strong, but I have been eyeing the idea of swapping my SOHC for the DOHC 4.6L. I was looking at finding a wrecked Cobra Mustang with the supercharged 4.6L, but when I talked to the Ford technicians, they said that it would be a nightmare swapping due to the computer being setup for the car. They told me that it would be a better bet going with a Lincoln Navigator equipped with the DOHC 4.6L and then add an aftermarket supercharger, since the box would be closely tuned to my truck.

I have had people tell me to just get a 5.4L from the Lightning and slap it in, since it is the same truck. I don't want to be sucking gas everytime I touch the pedal and was told that the 4.6L is not too bad unless you get your foot into it. Granted, I will have the urge to get into it, but there are days when I am cruising the highway and would like to be getting a few more MPG's. I like that the DOHC 4.6L is a Hemi-style head with the huge valve covers.... plus, only a handfull or maybe nobody has one in an F-150.

My question here is this; does anyone know more information about the possibility of swapping the engines or know someone who has? I would like to gather up the information as to special parts, tools and such that I would have to take into account for the swap.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would choose the Cobra 4.6 dohc. It is an easy fit with very little fabrication if any. You WILL need the PCM from the donor car also.
(It could be used as a stand alone if need be.) Do a little more searching here or over at Modular Fords and I bet you will find the info you desire...
Good luck it should be a wild ride when done.....
On a side note . I have owned both the Lighting and Cobra with both being heavily modified. The Cobra was better on gas but was also a lot lighter.
The Lightning got 18 highway and the Cobra 23.

Old 08-19-2006, 05:11 PM
u will need the PCM everything else will bolt up. and u might need motor mounts but yeh i was thinking of gettin a dohc swap.. but u loose alot of low end torque with twin cams

Old 08-20-2006, 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by thompson8991
Hello, I have a 1999 F-150 Lariat 4x2 stepside with a SOHC 4.6L pushing 160,000 miles. It is a beautiful truck and I have had many people admire it or ask me if it is a HD model. Even people that don't care for Fords have told me that they like my truck.

The engine is running strong, but I have been eyeing the idea of swapping my SOHC for the DOHC 4.6L. I was looking at finding a wrecked Cobra Mustang with the supercharged 4.6L, but when I talked to the Ford technicians, they said that it would be a nightmare swapping due to the computer being setup for the car. They told me that it would be a better bet going with a Lincoln Navigator equipped with the DOHC 4.6L and then add an aftermarket supercharger, since the box would be closely tuned to my truck.

I have had people tell me to just get a 5.4L from the Lightning and slap it in, since it is the same truck. I don't want to be sucking gas everytime I touch the pedal and was told that the 4.6L is not too bad unless you get your foot into it. Granted, I will have the urge to get into it, but there are days when I am cruising the highway and would like to be getting a few more MPG's. I like that the DOHC 4.6L is a Hemi-style head with the huge valve covers.... plus, only a handfull or maybe nobody has one in an F-150.

My question here is this; does anyone know more information about the possibility of swapping the engines or know someone who has? I would like to gather up the information as to special parts, tools and such that I would have to take into account for the swap.

you mean 5.4 in the navigator with the dohc

Old 08-20-2006, 09:17 PM
maybe he meant aviator with 4.6?

Old 08-21-2006, 09:00 PM
Computer and 4V harness a must. I reccommend goin with the 5.4 DOHC setup. With the extra weight of the truck....you'll get a lot more power/tq out of her. Are you planning on goin aftermarket/power adder??? If so, PM me, I might be able to help you get started.

Old 09-30-2016, 03:00 PM
Any concerns regarding the transmission in the vehicle once you do the swap

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Swapping a SOHC 4.6L for a DOHC 4.6L