Error Code B1352 Ignition Key-in Circuit Failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Error Code B1352 Ignition Key-in Circuit Failure

On my '97 F-150 I am getting an intermittent Error Code B1352 (Ignition Key-in Circuit Failure).

I have the Factory Service Manual CD for my truck and it only lists the ‘P’ type codes (Power Train) and not the ‘B’ type codes for the body/chassis.

I am trying to figure out just what the error means so I can start troubleshooting.

Any one know this one?

In addition, I am getting a intermittent P0402 (EGR Flow Excessive) and I am slowly troubleshooting this problem right now. I replaced the EGR valve last year but my next step is to pull it off and see if it is binding….

Don’t know if this extra info help with the first problem but every little bit helps.

Old 07-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
For the "B" series DTCs, see section 413-09 of the SERVICE section of the CD. Have you done a "mod" to eliminate the key-in-ignition chime?

For the P0402, check for vacuum at idle at the EGR valve. If none, replace the DPFE sensor. This, like most EGR-related problems, is very seldom an EGR valve problem.

Steve

Old 07-07-2006, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the hint. I found the table with the “B” Codes. Now I understand what the error is and I am not too worried about it now.

I have not done “mod”. Never heard of it…

I replaced my DPFE Sensor with a spare one I had. Now the P0402 is gone and a P0401 (Low flow) is being displayed. I might have two bad sensors. I am going to do some Vacuum checks and tests tonight. The service manual has some really good procedures for this…. I paid $10.00 on Ebay for this CD. Worth every penny…

Originally Posted by projectSHO89
For the "B" series DTCs, see section 413-09 of the SERVICE section of the CD. Have you done a "mod" to eliminate the key-in-ignition chime?

For the P0402, check for vacuum at idle at the EGR valve. If none, replace the DPFE sensor. This, like most EGR-related problems, is very seldom an EGR valve problem.

Steve

Old 07-07-2006, 09:31 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Before assuming the second DPFE sensor is bad, do a vacuum test on the EGR valve while idling.

The ports in the TB are well known for carboning up and causing this error (P0401).

Steve

Old 07-07-2006, 12:26 PM
No kidding on the EGR port issue.

Three years ago I had a DPFE issue and had to take the truck to the dealer for repair (the only time in 10 years it has had a problem). They replaced the sensor and cleaned the ports.

Last year I was hit on the passenger side front. Not my fault. The day after I got it back from the dealer (repaired) my CEL came on and I had the same error as the first DPFE issue.

“Oh WAIT, I know what this problem is” So I went out and bought a DPFE sensor. No joy on that one. So I bought a new EGR valve. No joy either…

Now I suspect a flow problem (not sure how I got there…..) so I took off the throttle body and the downdraft plenum. The ports were very bad. Bad after only two years. Cleaned them put everything back and still no joy.

Then I noticed that vacuum to the solenoid was kind of low. Not sure how to fix this. Started tracing the vacuum lines backward to see if I can find anything. I notice that all of the vacuum lines run INTO the right fender. Now remember, I just had this side repaired. Had to take the finder well liner out to see what was going on. Low and behold I find a very large vacuum tank bolted inside the fender. I pull the tank and see that there are six or seven “drilled” holes in the tank. Not evenly spaced or there by design. The dealer’s body shop must have had to drill the fender in various places for the repair, and THEY did not know about the vacuum tank. RTV’ed the holes and replaced everything the next day. Problem fixed. This problem took over five days to diagnose and repair.

Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Before assuming the second DPFE sensor is bad, do a vacuum test on the EGR valve while idling.

The ports in the TB are well known for carboning up and causing this error (P0401).

Steve

Quick Reply: Error Code B1352 Ignition Key-in Circuit Failure