Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 06-02-2006, 12:27 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Ford Expedition
Cool Loud Rattling Noise Under Truck

About a week ago I pulled up to a drive thru and noticed a loud metal sounding rattle coming from under my Expy. (I just came off of about a 20 mile interstate run). It seemed to come and go as the truck was shifted in and out of gear. I had my daughter (with the emergency brake firmly engaged and her foot on the brake) take it in and out of gear while I listened and felt around where I felt the sound was coming from. It was right in the area where the Catalytic converter runs next to the transmission on the passenger side. Not sure which it was coming from. I didn't feel anything by holding my hand on the trans. pan but of course I could not toudh the converter. I didn't notice it for the following week on my short trips back and fourth to work but my next interstate trip and it came back when I stopped at a light. It could be something loose in the converter and rattles as the truck heats up and the idle changes during gear shifting or the transmission. I guess it may be time to invest in the high flow cats and see if it goes away. Any thoughts?

2001 Expedition XLT 4X4 5.4L
Allen Engineering (Eaton) Supercharger
4.56 Yukon Gears
Detroit Locker Rear
Troyer tuned XCAL II
Grannatelli COP's
Denso Iridium Plugs
42# Injectors
90mm MAF
BBK 75mm Throttle Body
AirForce One FIPK
Troyer Duel Electric Fan Kit
Dynatech Supermaxx Stainless Headers
Bassani Stainless Exhaust (Street Comp.)
Magnaflow Stainless Hi Flow Cat's
3" Body Lift
305X70X16 BFG AT TAKO's
Old 06-02-2006, 02:53 PM

Vehicle: 1997 F150 4.6
I have this same exact problem in my 97 F150. I will be sittin at a light and the rattling will just go in and out. 80% of the people i asked said that is could be one of your heat sheilds and the other ones said it could have something to do with your cat. It seemed to go away for about a week and a half and then it just started rattling again.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:00 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Ford F150
im not a technician but it happened to my sisters pathfinder and it was the heat shiel so i would just go under there and tighten um up.

2003 5.4 Liter F150 Supercrew Lariat FX4. (Sold)
2004 Mustang GT Convertible 5 speed manual (crashed)
2003 Toyota 4runner (sold)
2002 mustang gt 5 speed (sold)
1995 f250 5.8 (sold)
2002 Honda CBR F4i (up for sale)
2002 Ford F150 5.4 supercab 4x4
Old 06-02-2006, 03:39 PM

I will take a closer look when it is cool. Thanks for the tips.

4.56 Yukon Gears
Detroit Locker Rear
Troyer tuned XCAL II
Grannatelli COP's
Denso Iridium Plugs
42# Injectors
90mm MAF
BBK 75mm Throttle Body
AirForce One FIPK
3" Body Lift
305X70X16 BFG AT TAKO's
Old 06-02-2006, 11:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150 5.4L 4X4
Check out this thread, I posted pics were that noise is comming from and there's actually a TSB on it from Fords.

Buzzing sound
Old 06-03-2006, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the tip. That sounds exactly like what I am experiencing. I think mine is just in the beginning stages and will probably/certainly get worse. I do have the ford extended warrenty for another 15,000 miles. I will get it looked at ASAP.

4.56 Yukon Gears
Detroit Locker Rear
Troyer tuned XCAL II
Grannatelli COP's
Denso Iridium Plugs
42# Injectors
90mm MAF
BBK 75mm Throttle Body
AirForce One FIPK
3" Body Lift
305X70X16 BFG AT TAKO's
Old 06-03-2006, 05:30 PM

Vehicle: 1997 F150 4.6
ok check this out. So i was under my truck today trying to figure out why my A/C is still not working and i accidentally hit my wrench on one of the cats and it mad a rattling sound so i hit it again and sure enough the i hear a rattle again. so i hit another cat but this one did not rattle so i looked closer at the one that made a rattle and there is a small flat peice of rusted metal that is just laying there inside that shield thing that surrounds the cat. Now the only thing i have to do is figure out how to remove it.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150 5.4L 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr_WaxDr
ok check this out. So i was under my truck today trying to figure out why my A/C is still not working and i accidentally hit my wrench on one of the cats and it mad a rattling sound so i hit it again and sure enough the i hear a rattle again. so i hit another cat but this one did not rattle so i looked closer at the one that made a rattle and there is a small flat peice of rusted metal that is just laying there inside that shield thing that surrounds the cat. Now the only thing i have to do is figure out how to remove it.

No kiddin!! I'm going to have to check that out ... Once in awhile at a certain RPM I still here something - a different kind of rattle now... Before I clamped mine It was more of an irritating churping sound @ low r's. Thanx 4 the info!!
Old 06-03-2006, 08:46 PM

I'll bet it's the heat shield. Mine made this noise and then I found the heat shield was doing it. I used a large screwdriver to bend the piece that was rattling, and then about 2 months later the whole shield fell off. Problem solved since.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:22 AM

hey new to this site but we used wire to wrap and tighten cause we couldn't get to ours
Old 04-04-2014, 06:21 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F150
Welcome to the site. Thread is almost 8 years old though.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:21 PM