Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 05-27-2006, 09:16 PM

Vehicle: 1987 Ford F150
davidaaron236 david_aaron236
Send a message via Yahoo to david_aaron236
Angry 1990 F150 with dual-tank problems

I have a 1990 F150 4.9l 5-speed and it has a problem that I have read online about, where fuel goes from one gas tank into the other. In my case it goes from the front tank to the rear one. This wouldn't really be a problem for me, except that the fuel pump in the rear tank doesnt work... I had read that this was a recall, so I called my local Ford garage, and they tell me that there are no recalls that are fuel-related for my truck. I couldnt believe it! I just wanted to know if there is actually a recall for this problem.. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 05-28-2006, 12:02 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Send a message via AIM to Quintin Send a message via Yahoo to Quintin
There is a recall, but I believe it's expired. More than likely even if it didn't expire, the parts replaced probably wouldn't really help. I've replaced a lot of fuel pumps on those trucks because the check valve in the pump fails, allowing fuel to bypass between tanks.

!@#$ the language filter.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:47 AM

Vehicle: 2003 ford f150
The recall is over, it ran 12 years or 150,000 miles. I've had a few vehicles that came in do this and I install the check valves to correct the problem. The check valve goes on the fuel pump outlet to stop fuel from flowing back through the pump. The front tank is easy to get to with out lowering the tank. The rear tank needs to come down a little or loosen the box and lift it up in the rear to get to pump. Also there was an aftermarket tool that worked pretty good, too. The part number was F4pz-9155-J.
Good luck,
Doug
Old 05-28-2006, 12:47 AM