E 85

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 09:17 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E 85

Our trucks wont run on that stuff will they?

Gas is hitting $3 a gallon and I aint putting up with this ***** anymore

Old 04-11-2006, 10:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you want your check engine light to come on, the engine to run rough, and the O2s to go full lean, sure, you can run E85.

No, unless your truck is outfitted for E85, it won't run, at least not decently on it.

Old 04-11-2006, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, i've been getting in quite a few conversations about this with other people, on at least 3 other forums online. So, here goes nothing.

You CAN run your truck on E-85, as long as you have some extra $$ to throw at it. Now, understand most of this was talk to install it on a Turbo charged system due to the high octane rating of the fuel[105].

To get it running in your truck, you will need the following:
-Money, and a temp. vehicle while you work on the truck.
-Replace ALL ruber hoses with braided steel lines
-Replace all paper, rvt gaskets with crushed metal gaskets
-Upgraded fuel pump
-Upgraded fuel presure regulator(FPR)
-Upgraded injectors
-Fuel managment system(Megasquirt could work)
-Colder range of spark plug
-New thermostat and fluid would be recomended, just to be safe

Now, because E-85 has less "Energy"(BTU's or Joules, however you want to look at it, Joules will be the best example to use) you need to dump more of it in your engine to maintain normal drivability, and keep your vehicle happy.

So, you may have to increas the amount of fuel to keep your hp up where you are familure with, which causes the problem of decreased MPG. However, depending on where you live, here in MN i can get E-85 for $1.65 as of yesterday per gallon at a local gas station. So, as 4-5 people reported they notice a 15-20% drop in MPG, but when your paying anywhere from 20-50% less. Your actually saving yourself money, and as gas raises your E-85 won't change much. Untill the farmers start getting greedy like the oil companies.

I've got mixed results on the plugs//theromstate. I've heard the E-85 makes a normal engine run warmer, and the cooling system works harder to cool it. At least on a N/A engine. The turbo system kept the stock plugs and coolant system. His car was pushing 454 WHP on a daily driver pushing 35psi on a 1992 Eagle Talon. Nice thing about the E-85 is with the high octane, he could push the motor much harder. The only down fall is he was getting 12mpg on an I4 engine. But he was also only paying $1.60 for gas, and could switch over go gas if he couldn't find a E-85 pump. Just changed the settings on the vehicle to run normal 92 octane. Only made upper 300's on pump gas. But was also only pushing 24psi.

I'll read more into it and let everyone know. If i had the money, i'd convert.