Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 03-24-2006, 09:14 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Coolant leak on 351 Winsor

I just joined up, and have a '93 F150 4x4 XLT with the 5.8(351W) motor. lately, I've noticed a coolant smell when the motor is hot, and the truck will use about 3/4 of the contents of the overflow in 3000 miles. Recently, I noticed a few drops of coolant on the crossmember, but none on the ground. I just replaced the radiator, ALL hoses(retorqued the clamps after 500 and 1000 miles), new heater core, and a system flush. I can't seem to find where it is coming from, and a pressure test reveals nothing. I can't see the freeze plugs, and know the old 305 Chevys were notorious for eating them. This is my first Ford truck in years, and the wife loves the way it handles/drives for it's size. Any ideas?
Old 03-24-2006, 09:19 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 97 F-150 & 03 F-350
I don't know where your water is coming from, but when a water pump is on its way out it will leak. Sometimes it will pour, sometimes drip. There are weep holes on it to allow the leaking fluid to escape. The water pump is connected to the fan on most vehicles. Check it out.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:23 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2012 Ford F150
Check you freeze plugs and intake manifold.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:47 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 f150 5.4 xlt
if a pressure test does not reveal a leak then i would look closely at the weep hole on the water pump also. look for a rusty trail leading from the hole. the seal may only leak when its turning or in a certain spot.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:01 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1995 Ford F150
Agreed. BTW, the weep hole is located under the waterpump shaft, at 6 o'clock if you're looking at it from the front.

My F-150 Gallery

'95 Eddie Bauer F-150 SC SB / 4.9L / 5spd / 3.55 LS / K&N FIPK w/ Ram Air / JET / Crane / Taylor / Comp Cams / Edelbrock RPM / Hurst / Add-A-Leaf / Bilstein / Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 31x10.5R15's / Auto Meter Sport Comp Vac, Volt, Water, Oil & Fuel PSI / K.C. / Optima Yellow / Alpine / Apple / Toshiba / Boston Acoustics / Polk / Bazooka / And more...
Old 03-25-2006, 10:01 PM