fan clearance...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fan clearance...?

I know this is f150 truck site but i thought some of you could help. A lot of you guys have great experience. I have a f150 and just bought a beater 1980 Jeep CJ5 to play around with and work on.

Ok i just picked up a jeep from a friend. The orignal engine was blown so he put another engine from another jeep his friend was building up into his. Then he lost time and it sat for 2 years till i bought it. The title says it has a 4 cylinder stock but the engine code is a B, which doesnt code for anything that ive found so far. So thats one wierd thing. Anyways the engine he was putting in it is a 4.2 inline 6 from what ive seen. I bought the jeep the other day and was putting the core support/grill and radiator on(he hadn't finished putting it all back together) and the fan hits the radiator. There is no shaft the fan is on so i cant shorten that. I thought about cutting the motor mounts and shifting the whole drive train back but would rather aviod that since i dont have my own welder and the tranny mounts would need to be shifted too. Also i would have to modify the drivelines. I could get access to a welder but i would rather not. This is more of a weekend project to get running and play around in. I drive a 94 f150 as my daily driver. Anyways, i am in kind of a pickle as what to do and how to make this fit. Any suggestions from what others have done would be great.

Old 03-25-2006, 01:26 AM
i would sugest e fans. they will be better anyways and free up some horse. then u can add a switch to turn them off when going threw mud and what have you. they can usually be 2 inchs wide or less so im guessing that clearance wouldnt be an issue with out knowing exactly how close you are. u also could mount the radiator somewhere else but i would only do that if u plan on doing extreme mudding and offroading where it would get hit. e fans is what i would look in to.

Old 03-25-2006, 09:32 PM
I was thinking that too..but i dont know if i can even fit that. maybe in front of the radiator between the headlights...i dunno. here is the pics. Oh i guess i cant post the pics here. It says i cant..here's a link to where you can see them.

http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/cj-tech...clearance.html

Quick Reply: fan clearance...?