Cost of brake job.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 09:58 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost of brake job.

Ford installed that fusable link on the cruise control today for that recall where fires can occur.

The techs mentioned that my front disk brake pads are down to about 1/16 of an inch and need to be replaced (My 1999 F150 has a little over 50,000 miles on it).

They did not quote me a price so would someone give me an estimate of how much installation of front disk brake pads would cost. I am also open to suggestions about ceramic disk brake pads and non-ford service department estimates.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:27 PM
if you can get the calipers on and off, it's pretty cheap. I think you can get the at an autoparts store for 120 for all four. I also use hawk hps pads in my cobra. i'm very happy with them. and the dealership is going to get you on something everytime, this time it was the rotors.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Cost me $189 to have it done at the shop (Good Year) by my house in dallas. This was for servicing the front (including new pads), and adjusting the rear drums. I think they may have turned the front rotors but I dont have the receipt and it was a few months ago.

I doubt the dealership is much worse, I always get those coupons in the mail to get a brake job for like $99 in the mail (from Ford).

Old 03-01-2006, 10:58 PM
Go to the auto part store and buy a Chilton or Haynes manual... It's the best $20.00 you'll ever spend. It details everything you need to know to get it done.

You'll atleast save 100.00 (minus the cost of beer)

good luck!

Old 03-01-2006, 11:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should be the only two they are bad. Usually the front two go at about 50K and then back ones are still good for a little longer. Do this yourself. Should take you about 30 minutes if you have a floor jack. Real real easy basic maintenance. Probably easier than changing your oil. Okay not that easy but easy. It will some you some money now and down the road. Plus you know it's done right. There are plenty of write ups on this as well. I was 15 when i did my first brake job. Easiest thing ever

Last edited by chrisrud15; 03-02-2006 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:40 PM
That's one of the things i had to learn how to do before i was allowed to drive

Now that we have all of that taken care of....why is this thread in the "engines' section rather than the "brakes" section...lol

Last edited by country_duck; 03-02-2006 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:51 AM
Definitely a vote for do it yourself. I've done it so many times on my fords (one with 220k and one with 146k) that I can change out the front pads in 25 minutes in the dark. Get yourself a large C-clamp (5 inches or so... real cheap from Sears) so that you can compress the calipers.... you'll also need a block of wood to compress both pistons at the same time.

I also recommend going with the ceramic pads. I think they cost me about $50 for the fronts and I don't have to worry about the dreaded "black rim".

Beware of these places offering cheap break jobs. They will use the cheapest pads known to man and you will be replacing them again before you know it. You will also be cleaning your wheels at every stop.

Mike

Old 03-02-2006, 03:40 PM
Thumbs up

I agree do it yourself you take it to someone and they will use cheap parts and try to turn a bigger profit in the end its easy to do and wont take long the ceramic pads are around $70 at advance for bendix pads great quality.

Old 03-02-2006, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by country_duck
Now that we have all of that taken care of....why is this thread in the "engines' section rather than the "brakes" section...lol
Well... I did think about putting my post in the brakes section along with those other 8 posts there. Im sure folks visit that forum at least once a year. LOL

And what about all these fellows telling me to "do it myself" when I can't even figure out how to post into the correct forum.

I get the feeling something ugly is gonna happen with the disk brakes on my truck. (Never let computer folks who spell disc as disk work on their trucks!)

Old 03-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man you been here long enough to know how easy this is. Take off the tire; take 2 bolts off pull the old pads out; C clamp the pistons in and put new pads; 2 bolts on and then put the tire back on. EASY!

Old 03-03-2006, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by chrisrud15
Man you been here long enough to know how easy this is. Take off the tire; take 2 bolts off pull the old pads out; C clamp the pistons in and put new pads; 2 bolts on and then put the tire back on. EASY!
Actually I suck at some things but you got my interest perked!

Old 03-03-2006, 08:58 AM
To contradict what a few have said, cheap places don't always use cheap parts. My shop used to do brake jobs for $99 but I had to raise it to $119 becuase some vehicles do require ceramics and the costs of those pads can vary but can get as high as $60. There are those places out there that use the Bobo brand to try and make more money, just try and go to a reputable place that offers at least a 90 day warranty.

Old 03-03-2006, 09:21 AM
Im going to agree with these guys, if you have the tools and a few hours, this should be something you can do yourself.
I would have done it myself except my driveway is angled...if theres something that requires taking wheels off, I end up taking it to a shop. But I try to do everything else I can.

Old 03-03-2006, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Johngs
Im going to agree with these guys, if you have the tools and a few hours, this should be something you can do yourself.
I would have done it myself except my driveway is angled...if theres something that requires taking wheels off, I end up taking it to a shop. But I try to do everything else I can.
I was quoted $155 P&L reduced to 99.95 P&L for new front disk pads, turn rotors and pack wheel bearings if done when lower ball joints are replaced ($500 P&L). I have 55,000 miles on my truck. Im told the new ball joints will have grease zerks so I can grease em and make em last for maybe 150,000 miles?

They also say I need:

For a leaking head gasket, $2800 to mill both heads, valve job, new gasket and new head bolts, includes copper or brass helicoils before a spark plug blowout occurs.

Battery $100 P&L
Coolant Flush $70 P&L
Idler arm $150 P&L
Tires ???

Quick Reply: Cost of brake job.