Plugs on 5.4

Old 02-16-2006, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Plugs on 5.4

Ok i kind of feel like a fool actually posting this but along with my other mods i want to change the plugs and wires on my 02 5.4 but i cannot find the things. I have looked everywhere. I am not a mechanic by any means but i do have enough common sense to do simple things little oil changes and plug changes. If someone could tell me where they are or post some pics on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-16-2006, 09:26 AM
The 5.4l has a Coil-over-plug ignition. You do not have traditional spark plug wires. The coil is the round black thing over each cylinder. You have to remove each coil (each one is secured by one screw), and the plug is recessed into the head. You'll need a couple of extensions and probably a universal joint. Also its a good idea to tape up the joints so that extensions and sockets dont get seperated in the plug well.

If you do a search, there are many more posts with more detailed instructions.
Here's a site that has some tips (it used to have some video clips but it looks like they are down)
http://home.midsouth.rr.com/lightnin...parkplugs.html

Old 02-16-2006, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Need4Beer
Ok i kind of feel like a fool actually posting this but along with my other mods i want to change the plugs and wires on my 02 5.4 but i cannot find the things. I have looked everywhere. I am not a mechanic by any means but i do have enough common sense to do simple things little oil changes and plug changes. If someone could tell me where they are or post some pics on this it would be greatly appreciated.
Well you 5.4 does not have any plug wires. The plugs have there own coils. they are the black and have a yellow tag on them. I looked on hear and it looked to be a pretty long job to do and get to. But i have to say it was alot better changing the 4.6l plugs and wires. I just changed my about 1 week ago and i did not have any trouble changing them. Take off the air intake for starters and unbolt the power steering reserve bracket. This will give you room to work. Next some say to take off the fuel rails but i did not and i had no problem. All the coils are held on by bolts. Un bolt the bolt and pull the coil out. Before you pull the plug out blow air into the hole and inspect it so that there is no dirt or little rocks in there. It might help to get a 1/4" hose and put it down the hole and then blow out it help me alot. Only do one at a time so you do not blow any dirt or little rocks in the other hole. I have to say it was a simple job to do but took about 2.5 hours to do right. When putting the new plug back in put some antiseze on the plug treads this will help in the next change. I have to say the only tools i used is a 1/4 ratchet and a 12" extension and a 6" extension with a 2" extension for the back ones. I did not use any swivels to do this job and it went great. I just gave you the short version if you look around you will find a very detailed version. If you need any more advice let us know.

Old 02-16-2006, 09:32 AM
johngs beat me too it

Old 02-16-2006, 10:46 AM
Installing a chip on the 5.4

I have a 2001 supercrew with a 5.4 and I pull a 31 ft camper with no problem. I would like to know a little about these chips that some people install and if it would help me in horse power and transmission shifting as they claim. Thanks

Old 02-16-2006, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Pumper419
I have a 2001 supercrew with a 5.4 and I pull a 31 ft camper with no problem. I would like to know a little about these chips that some people install and if it would help me in horse power and transmission shifting as they claim. Thanks
Pumper i think you should start a new topic you will get more info

Old 02-16-2006, 11:28 AM
Hey thanks alot guys for all the replies. I am going to go ahead and change them out this weekend since I have 58k on the original plugs.

Old 02-16-2006, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by Need4Beer
Hey thanks alot guys for all the replies. I am going to go ahead and change them out this weekend since I have 58k on the original plugs.
let us know how you made out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Plugs on 5.4