check engine light

Old 11-08-2005, 01:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check engine light

my check engine came on about a week ago,where can i start checking to find out whats causing it besides water,oil.
thank's

Last edited by Joe Styles; 11-09-2005 at 01:06 AM.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to Autozone and have the computer fault code read. Then post the code back here for help.

Fritz

Old 11-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
The check engine light comes on when the computer detects faults in the engine electronic control or emissions systems. Has no relation to the water or oil etc. conditions.

Steve

Old 11-08-2005, 12:39 PM
Autozone the way to go

yeah I had the same problem about 55k I just posted about a blinking light....since yours is on the best,easiest and cheapest way is to get Autozone to check it out for you, it's free and it will give you a good idea of where the problem is at (not specific) tell us what the code is and we can break it down more. how is the truck running by the way? :santa:

Old 11-09-2005, 01:05 AM
Thanks,appreciate the help.Didn't no auto zone would do that for free.
The mechanic here where I work said he could put a scanner on it,would that be the same as auto zone would do.
Thanks

Old 11-09-2005, 12:39 PM
If your buddy has an ODB II scanner, that would work.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:28 PM
I have a '97 F150, 4.6l, 148,000 miles. My CEL has been on for some time. The truck is "shaky" at idle, like there is a miss or some thing. When I took it to Autozone to check the code, it was for cam shaft sensor. I replaced the sensor, the light went off immediately, but when I turned off the truck and restarted it, the light came back on. So, back to Autozone, same thing cam shaft sensor.

Any ideas.

I have also changed out the thorttle positioning sensor. The next thing I was going to try was plugs and wires. I also thought about doing one of those injector cleaners you pour into your gas tank, any thoughts on these. Maybe fule filter to.

thanks,
Toby

Old 11-09-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by tbylckwd
I have a '97 F150, 4.6l, 148,000 miles. My CEL has been on for some time. The truck is "shaky" at idle, like there is a miss or some thing. When I took it to Autozone to check the code, it was for cam shaft sensor. I replaced the sensor, the light went off immediately, but when I turned off the truck and restarted it, the light came back on. So, back to Autozone, same thing cam shaft sensor.

Any ideas.

I have also changed out the thorttle positioning sensor. The next thing I was going to try was plugs and wires. I also thought about doing one of those injector cleaners you pour into your gas tank, any thoughts on these. Maybe fule filter to.

thanks,
Toby

You have to remember that there may be another reason why a part is failing. Running a scanner will not diagnose that type of problem. It would seem that you solved the symptom of a problem rather than the problem itself in replacing the camshaft sensor. I do not know enough to diagnose your problem other than something is wrong, possibly the camshaft itself, that is causing your camshaft sensor to fail prematurely.....

Old 11-09-2005, 04:46 PM
Or, it could be something as simple as a loose connector going to the sensor. Disconnect the wire at the sensor and check for it being loose. Possible that when you replaced the sensor, it had a good connection when you reconnected it and it jiggled loose.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: check engine light