questions about heads and a head swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
questions about heads and a head swap

I am going to do a head swap in my truck. It is a 97 4.6 Windsor. I am going to go with the PI heads. Will these heads work? I am going to change the cams also. Is there any difference between the romeo and windsor heads besides the valve cover bolt pattern? I am also wondering if those are windsor or romeo heads in the link above. I am also wondering if I need to replace the intake manifold also. I'm sure I have to but I decided to ask. Does anybody know the chamber volume of the stock heads that are installed right now? I am also going to change the chains and probably the oil pump since I'll have the front cover off.

Now some questions about the task itself. How long will it take? I've never done this before but I should have some help. What all needs to be removed to do this? I'm sure it is easier with the motor out but I don't want to do that if I don't have to.

Here is a list of what stuff that I think/know I'll need. Feel free to add to the list.

Gaskets
Upper & lower intake
Head bolts/studs - probably ARP
Crank pulley bolt

Things I might/will change while it is apart. Feel free to add to the list.

Thermostat
Oil pump
Injectors
Exhaust manifolds for headers

Last edited by King James; 07-24-2005 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:21 AM
Yes those heads will work. But sometimes you can find the same ones on evay for much cheaper.

Yes you will want to replace the intake manifold to see full benefit of the new heads. You'll need new gaskets as well, and new bolts.

Most of your questions are answered in here:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...highlight=head

I havent seen anybody on here that has done the swap not be able to get it done with the engine still in the truck.

Old 07-24-2005, 12:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
King James - you can definitely find heads for less than what is in the link. If you get heads, try to find ones made after 2003, they have 8-9 threads for the spark plugs vs. 4 from earlier years.

Take a look at the pictures in the link in my signature and let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 07-24-2005, 01:39 PM
I had thought $400 was a good price for these. I would prefer new ones so if you run across any at a better price, please let me know. I added some stuff to the first post also.

Is this the correct upper intake?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7988240243

I found this also but I don't think it is for the PI heads since it is metal.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7988184555

Last edited by King James; 07-24-2005 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:35 PM
Those heads are $400 each, typically SHM is on the expensive side. That is why I think you can get them for less.

The intake in the first link you posted is for a mustang or crown vic, so you don't want that for your truck.

The 2nd link appears to be a truck PI intake, but you won't know for certain unless you can get the seller to take a picture of the ports. If they are square ports, then that is a PI intake. If they are oval, then they are non-PI.

The below link is for some pictures I took showing the difference, or lack of difference, between the truck PI and non-PI intakes. Ford made major changes in the Mustang intake when they switched to PI. But there is almost no difference, except the port shape, between the two.

I think you could get away with port matching your non-PI intake to fit the new heads.

Intake comparison

Old 07-24-2005, 08:14 PM
I asked him if he could get some. Hopefully he can.

Here are some cam possibilities.

xe262ah

I also looking at the 62810-2, 62811-2, 62800-2 or 62801-2 from Crower.

If anybody knows the factory cam specs for the F150 4.6, please let me know.

Old 08-13-2005, 07:47 AM
Old 08-13-2005, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by King James

nah i wouldnt buy those listing says engine has some wrist pin slap... so head prolbably has some maring on it and from looks of all the coolant everywhere probably had a blown head gasket so im sure that engine was abused i wouldnt go for it... but the F150 intake manifold u will want if u wanna keep ur low end power.

Old 08-13-2005, 11:07 PM
Got to agree with Faster... those heads look like crap. You'd be better of with your stock, non-PI heads.

Old 08-14-2005, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by LCDRWorth
Got to agree with Faster... those heads look like crap. You'd be better of with your stock, non-PI heads.

yeh engines have little less performance but engines have seemed to hold up better and last longer. due to the fact that the no PI engine design has been around longer and we had the last gen of the non pi heads to all the bugs and whatnot have been worked out of em so stick with what u got

Old 08-14-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by Faster150
yeh engines have little less performance but engines have seemed to hold up better and last longer. due to the fact that the no PI engine design has been around longer and we had the last gen of the non pi heads to all the bugs and whatnot have been worked out of em so stick with what u got
Now *thats* a load of BS.

Old 08-14-2005, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Johngs
Now *thats* a load of BS.

Just a little.

Old 08-14-2005, 06:31 PM
Where'd my damn post go?

Quick Reply: questions about heads and a head swap