Cost to Rebuild 4.6L ? How to get more HP

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 02:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost to Rebuild 4.6L ? How to get more HP

Hey Guys , for those of you that have rebuilt a 4.6L F-150 4x2 Motor, what is the cost ? It runs great and reliable as all hell, but im close to 110K and its starting to slowing down some up hills and grades. Seems like im shifting gears alot. Im wondering if its worth it to go this route and figure out during that time how to make it wake up alot . Can you do anough with the 4.6L to get say 325Hp or is it less to find a 5.4L used and rebuild it. I just started seeing oil leaks from rear main and power steering hose. Never had i thing wrong with this motor in 105k miles . Only 1 trans replacement and thats it.

Here's my spec's as it stands right now.

K&N direct flow intake
Electric Fans
3in exhaust -Cat Back w/ flow master 50 ( Looking for JBA's Soon and No Cats ) No Smog Laws to worry about .
Regeared to 456's and installing 35's next week.

2nd ----- What can i do to this 4R70W trans to make it stronger for towing
a 6000lb boat ??????????????????

Im in Southern California if someone has a F-150 Motor Builder out here to go see.

Thanks for the help guys, Kenny

Old 07-30-2005, 03:23 AM
I would go with the 5.4 if you can get a complete engine and parts for the swap. As far as the rebuild for the 4.6 cost is dependent on what you do, but i dont see you ever getting 325 out the rear...ever .....without a power adder.

Old 07-30-2005, 09:44 AM
Look for a 5.4, especially if want to get that type of towing power.

Now I'm just assuming here, but if you have the money for an engine swap and/or rebuild, and a trade-in, you've got two days left of the Ford Family Plan. You could get an XLT 4-door, 5.4 liter for under 25K. You could pull away with a new truck. If payments are an option. Depending on your needs, you could go less $ for a 5.4 too with smaller trucks.

I'm in So Cal too and have talked to some Lightning owners that know mechanics who work on Ford engines. Where abouts are you and I'll try to direct you?

Quick Reply: Cost to Rebuild 4.6L ? How to get more HP