Got Awhole bunch of things done on my truck today.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got Awhole bunch of things done on my truck today.

New oil change mobil 1 5w20
Changed the Diffs fluid synthetic oil
flushed the radiator
changed the gas filter
topped off power steering

i know some of this wasent going to fix my ruff idle but i wanted to do it anyway
but alas i still idle kinda ruff..

i guess my next thing will be to get all new plugs and the global coils or what ever you call them off of ebay and get them installed..

truck idles ruff to the point you can see the antenna vibrate alittle bit every now and then..... is that normal? this is the first v8 ive owned.

the truck should be smooth am i right?

Old 10-10-2008, 10:25 PM
on the back of the intake there will be a 90* elbo for the pcv tube if thats sucked shut or rotted then replace it. otherwise stick with the tuneup and go from there.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:25 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by shroville
New oil change mobil 1 5w20
Changed the Diffs fluid synthetic oil
flushed the radiator
changed the gas filter
topped off power steering

i know some of this wasent going to fix my ruff idle but i wanted to do it anyway
but alas i still idle kinda ruff..

i guess my next thing will be to get all new plugs and the global coils or what ever you call them off of ebay and get them installed..

truck idles ruff to the point you can see the antenna vibrate alittle bit every now and then..... is that normal? this is the first v8 ive owned.

the truck should be smooth am i right?
Ruff idle is should be a easy fix. What's your "Cold Start" RPM's look like ? What's the "Warm Start" ? Post back the numbers and @ what point does it turn ruff?

Have you had any other DTC's in the past?

Last edited by jbrew; 10-12-2008 at 01:28 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:24 AM
First off what is a DTC.

the ruff idle is there always only not noticeable in motion.

ill get the RPM's tomorrow thanks for the input!

------------
looking at my intake i saw one of the PLASITC not rubber but a hard plastic hose on there is like Melted or deformed in away.part of it has caved in A little but is not pinched ill get pictures of it tomm.

Last edited by shroville; 10-12-2008 at 03:27 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:51 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Diagnostic Trouble Code.

You sure it's not a rubber hose that's gotten hard and brittle? With it idling, spray it with some carb cleaner and if the idle changes at all, you have a vacuum leak there.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:13 PM

glc - carb cleaner

That's a little to hard on rubber/wires. Actually I found propane works pretty good.

Really man , unless the leaks large enough- your not going to find using these methods.

It takes about 6 minutes to pull the vac harness off your truck and we can direct you how. Just pull the thing and bench test for leaks.

Pull the PCV system as well. That could take you about 20 minutes to pull or longer the first time (the 90 sticks) - Unless you follow diection from one of us here.

The system should be bench tested and inspected well. A fractured line/ pin hole in an elbow is hard to find.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:03 PM

Try this first. Locate your AC accumulator. Look at the top, see the harness that's close to it or sitting on top of it ?

While your engine is running ruff , pull that harness up and away from the accumulator. You have to do this with the engine running and acting up. If the magnetic field from the accumulator is effecting idle, you will notice the idle clear right up with the harness pulled away.

A few occasions in the past, with the harness resting on top, this has chaffed/bared wires which made matters worse.

Check it out, but don't do anything until she's in the ruff stage when running.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:12 PM

First off what is a DTC.

-
looking at my intake i saw one of the PLASITC not rubber but a hard plastic hose on there is like Melted or deformed in away.part of it has caved in A little but is not pinched ill get pictures of it tomm.
That sounds like your EVR, DPFE lines. The white or tan usually melts. You need to suck test the EGR valve to confirm it works and repair that line. To much heat melted the line. Either your EGR valve isn't opening upon command or your cats are obstructed (partially) -

Old 10-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Notice red box in picture seems like its been melted but not all the way threw and has not collapsed

Notice Red arrow i just touched this seems flaky (seems brittle) and my hands are now full of black dust around the bends of this one

Last edited by shroville; 10-12-2008 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:13 AM
is that my EGR valve? thats the only piece in the entire engine thats rusted like that...

Old 10-13-2008, 01:08 AM
my hose is flaky and brittle just like that, and everytime i touch it i get covered in black crap. i guess its normal.
and yes that is the egr valve. mine was slightly rusted but not there that bad when i replaced it

Old 10-13-2008, 01:22 AM

Melted or rubbed line is your breather hose. Looks like some carb cleaner hit it . - That's nothing unless broke thru.

Looks like you removed the IAC horn when you installed the aftermarket intake.

Yea, answer all questions to update the thread and we can go from there.

Last edited by jbrew; 10-13-2008 at 01:24 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:33 AM
IAC horn (not even sure what that is) i dont remember removing that only thing i took out was the old intake.

You need to suck test the EGR valve to confirm it works and repair that line.
to be honest i have no idea what anyof this means it kinda sounds simple and all but dont know were to start.

i need it in laymens terms...

atleast i do not have to worry about the breather hose anymore

Old 10-13-2008, 03:12 AM

IAC horn (not even sure what that is) i dont remember removing that only thing i took out was the old intake.

to be honest i have no idea what anyof this means it kinda sounds simple and all but dont know were to start.

i need it in laymens terms...

atleast i do not have to worry about the breather hose anymore
Start by answering what was asked earlier or doing as directed. I can't help unless you listen to me and try a few things. So give them a shot and post back what you got or what happens. There all very simple, - Simple things first right ? If you don't understand what was asked way back when, then start there. I'll explain if you start at the beginning instead of in the middle and so on.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:13 PM
Cold Start RPM: Peak 1300 low 950
Warm Start RPM: Peak 1300 low 600

Ruff idle is at random like if i go to the store and am sitting in the parking lot it will start to shake alittle

i had a trouble code couple weeks back a plug went bad and the cop but truck was still idling ruff at random before hand.

but after the plug went IT Reallly idled ruff....

mileage is at 97,XXX

i think im going to go to ford tommorow and get a TB gasket and take my TB off and clean it. what is the other gasket ill need aswell for the cleaning?

Last edited by shroville; 10-13-2008 at 09:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Got Awhole bunch of things done on my truck today.