Question on a 2000 f150 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on a 2000 f150 4.6

I recently had a miss on the #5 cylinder, due to a bad boot.
I changed all the spark plugs and replaced the coil pack (w/Boot) (all with factory parts).
How ever when I set out to do this, I disconnected the battery (both cables).
While the check Eng. Light never came on during this ordeal, I was wondering if maybe there was a code sitting in there somewhere.
Reason being, something just doesn’t feel correct when I drive the truck. Just what I’m not sure. But I’ve heard people say that it takes a while for the system to reset. Is this true?
Also how does one go about resetting the system?
Any help would help tons..

Old 04-28-2005, 05:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The truck will be a little strange after a battery diconect It will idle run, shift, and seem strange. It takes some time and what for calls drive cycles to get back to it was. I hate to disconect my battery or change my tune for this very reason. The service manual in one place states that after start up you should alow to idle for 15minutes in neurtal no ac then with ac and then with truck in gear, I have never did all this and I don't know of anyone who has taken the time to do it. the more the truck is run the more the computer learns to fix the mistakes it sees. One of the main things it learns is the long term and short term fuel trims. One thing that will help youre truck gratly is replacing the upstream 02 sensors if they have more than 30to40 thousand miles on them they need replaced it makes a big differance in power and economy If you change them use only bosch premium or origanal ford sensors. By the way a drive cycle is a start up then driven to normal operating temp and then shut down to complete cool down. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Question on a 2000 f150 4.6