Who hates trouble codes????

Old 03-03-2005, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Who hates trouble codes????

We all do. But......

What's worse than a truck having problems and the SES light is lit?

Well duh!

A truck having problems w/o the SES light lit!

First off, I'm lazy. I don't much care for working on vehicles. Being a mechanic for 3 years cured me of that. Though it's kind of satisfying in a way, especially when you are happy with your results. However, I really HATE trouble-shooting. I hate when something's up with these overly-complicated beasts and hunting down the problem is a made very difficult when there are no codes to start with. And who really wants to go to the dealer and spend mega bucks?

I have a 2000 F150 4.6 that's been having an intermittent miss....... again. But, no codes to work with and this miss has been going on for better than a week.

Now I "could" replace things until the problem goes away (shotgun technique). I did that last summer and spent ~$700 on parts. Or I could take it to the dealer and pay $50,000 for them to fix it..... or $60 to put it on their computer. All money wasted if you ask me.

I found out one of the mechanics I used to work with is now at the Ford house, so I gave him a call. He said they come in every day like that and it needs a software update. Hmmmmm

Today I brought it up there, and for only $25, they flashed the computer with up-to-date software. Cool. BUT, the coolest part was after the flash, the truck threw a code (3 actually) in less than 5 minutes of run time. It ran for a week (like chit) with no codes, but threw 3 in a couple minutes after the update. After a trip to "the zone", and a few bucks in parts, all is right with the world again.

What's more, the truck runs better now than it ever has (since new). The rough idle it has ALWAYS had (day 1) is gone. The tranny shifts much, much better. The "hunt" at around 45mph is GONE and it has always done that. Honestly the BEST $25 I have EVER spent.

I don't know what other dealers might charge for updates, but find out, and DO IT!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who hates trouble codes????