Ethanol

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ethanol

Anybody know the real truth about Ethanol? Does it do more damage to your engine than gas without ethanol? My mechanic discourages running ethanol because he's had a lot of problems with injectors cracking and other issues. I've been running non-ethanol gas because I trusted what he said, but have not heard really conclusive evidence from anybody else either way. 10% ethanol gas is usually a couple of cents cheaper around here.

Old 01-21-2005, 10:39 PM
Banned
i always thought ethanol was good for your motor? could be wrong...

Old 01-21-2005, 11:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Ethanol has 65% of the btu as the same amount of gasoline. Mixed at 10% that's 96.5% of the btu of gasoline.

It takes more ethanol gas to produce the same amount of power as with gasoline. MPG is less, but not realy measurable since driving conditions usualy are more impacting. The difference is about 3.5% more fuel. In mpg that's the difference between 15 and 15.525 mpg. My truck runs 14 - 17, and I've gotten less than 10 in 4x4.

I think there is oxygen in ethanol which cause it to turn to spoil at a faster rate. Has caused problems with carbs in older cars and small engines.

Works fine in new cars though.

Old 01-22-2005, 10:32 AM
There's an oil company up here in Canada that promotes their ethanol blended gas as being better for the environment with the added benefit of the ethanol acting as a gasline antifreeze. It's great for all the greenies and as far as I'm concerened, they can have it. It's Mohawk/Husky producing it.

Old 01-22-2005, 11:42 AM
Ethanol doesn't hurt the newer vehicles since most are designed to run on blended fuel. The problem in older vehicles was the mech. fuel pump. The ethanol would collect in the pump and destroy the diaphram.
The Canadian Government has had legislation on the table for years that would require all gas sold in Canada to have a minimum 10% ethanol content. Only a matter of time before that passes.
The farmers can't wait for it!

Quick Reply: Ethanol