Oil and Battery question

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil and Battery question

1) I switched my 2001 F150 king ranch over to 5W-20 part synthetic the other day, I didn't barely spill a drop but noticed a very strong burning oil smell. It has since gone away but I am wondering what that was?

2) What is the maximum amp battery I can put in a 5.4 triton? My truck has a 540 amp battery and that thing won't crank over anything below 20 degrees farenheit. I need a new one today so any input is appreciated.

Old 12-29-2004, 11:51 AM
1) you prolly did spill a little oil. since it went away i wouldnt worry about it.

2) the bigger the better. an electrical device such as a starter will draw amps. it will only draw what its rated for so having more in a battery wont hurt anything.

Old 12-29-2004, 01:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say you could replace your battery with one of the same rating and you should be just fine. 20 degrees F is cold but not cold enough to affect a good battery, unless it went unused through an entire cold winter. You might also have your vehicle's electrical system checked to be sure there aren't any problems there putting an unnecessary drain on your battery.

Old 12-29-2004, 02:35 PM
I think the battery is just plain old shot. If I am cleaning the truck and leave a door open for more than 5 mins with all the lights on the truck will not even turn over. Once I run the batter a little with the jumperpack it will recharge just enough for another start. Time for a new one.

Old 12-29-2004, 03:53 PM
I'm sorry but if you have had to jump it after leaving the door open for a little while it was time for a new battery a long time ago! Your lucky it didn't leave you stranded or that you didn't fry your PCM with the "Jumpjack"!!

Your oil smell might be coming from the head. Your year truck should have the new gasket design but I have seen 2001 5.4's on here with leaky head gaskets. Lay on the ground on the pass side with a flashlight and look up at the block. The reason you don't slways smell it is that it usually only seeps and every now and then will get on the exhaust manifold. Plus changing to 5w-20 which is thinner than 5w-30 maybe more leaked out than normal.

good luck.

Old 12-29-2004, 05:45 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
The 540 rating on the OEM batteries is just barely adiquite for most uses over a few years.
There is no 'practical limit' to the capacity of the battery above the original unit.
Get youself a 750 +/- that will fit the holder and be done with it.
Batteries are not that expensive any more.
When doing a replacement, do clean and check every cable connection both ends.
The alternator performance should be checked out, then you back to new operation for a long time.
The radio does not take a lot of current and a good battery should run it for a day.
The interior lamps will take many times the radio draw so at the end of a period of many hours the starting could show it.
The larger the battery capacity the longer you can draw from the battery with out starting problems.

Old 12-29-2004, 08:53 PM
The battery should only run the lights for 10 min. Because (I think from 97 on) these trucks have a 10 min safety feature that turns everything off after 10 min.

My truck is a 99 and I know it has it...don't ask how I know!

Anyway any of the better brands of batteries that are designed to fit your truck will be fine.

Quick Reply: Oil and Battery question