Bye-bye 4.6 & Hello 454 Bbc !!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bye-bye 4.6 & Hello 454 BBC !!!!!!!!

Anyone know of a previous Project that someone has removed the 4.6L and went to Big Block Motor, Trans, Rearend.

I have a 500HP i built last year for my jetboat and never installed. The 4.6 is the Biggest Joke from Ford in quit some time. Almost as bad as their 4R70W Trans.

When i looked at the availabilty of High Performance transes and rear end's it all came to me. Drop in the Big Block, and have a Killer Truck for around town and pulling the sand rail to glamis.

ANYWAY, what im looking for is someone with Knowledge of what it takes for the electrical reconfigs. thats all im really worried about. ANY direction to talk to that rare individual out there would be VERY APPRICIATED.

Thanks for any and all help guys.

Ken

Last edited by vegasman; 12-15-2004 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... Chevy engine in FORD truck =

Old 12-13-2004, 10:56 PM
......especially one out of a boat.

Old 12-13-2004, 11:21 PM
It was built for a boat, not out of one. but thanks for the carefully thought out reply.

And yes to the Chevy Eng, in a Ford Truck. You can be a Ford Owner and dig the Truck, but theres nothing wrong with going to a Different Powerhouse thats proved to Me that its the best. Theres alot of great motors out there, but after owning 3 jetboats, 2 muscle cars, and currenty a 28 Warlock Offshore Boat that does 95 with 700Hp and all of them powered by 454BBC, why look anywhere else. Plus i already have the Motor Done and paid for.

SO,

Maybe i should of also stated that i would really appriciate the replies that directly involve input to the technical info that would help me with my project.

Again, Thanks Very Much

Old 12-13-2004, 11:22 PM
Why ya want to ruin a perfectly good truck by putting such a pos motor in it?

Old 12-13-2004, 11:29 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Respectfully, I don't think many on this board have have gone to those lengths in a street truck and daily driver.
You seem to have excess money to do these things. Take it to a shop that specilizes in such work.
I can tell you in advance that you will never adapt the original computer to work on the transplant motor and have it run as factory.

Old 12-13-2004, 11:49 PM
Hi, thanks for the reply. I dont expect to make it run factory. It will have to be rewired for the body electrical only. No computer will be used for engine mechanics. Its MSD and Carb. No fuel injection.

PS. if i had alot of money, this post would'nt be here. Just your average joe making less than a cab driver !

Thanks

Old 12-14-2004, 12:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello...

You will need the following;

New motor mounts (custom fabricated)

New transmission/ torque converter (your 4r70w will not bolt up)

Relocated crossmember for that new tranny

Basic 12v system to supply distributor stator, ignition coil, etc

You'll have to make a choice on which fuel pump you'll want to use, because the 4.6 has an electric fuel pump in the tank, whereas the 454 Is mechanical, and hook up lines from there
( the electric would be easier)

I suppose it could be done...But why? If it's your primary means of transportation, you're gonna be takin one of them underpaid cabbies for quite some time...It's not a weekend project!

let us know what becomes of the situation

-Jim

Old 12-14-2004, 12:19 AM
Hi Jim, glad to see someone thats willing to help with the details. Its deffinetely not my daily driver. Just something to smoke the Rice Burners around town on the weekends and pull my toys as well. Its got a 7in lift with 35's on it. So it sould be fun to see the look on their faces when a offroad truck is leaving them in the dust.

I leave my daily driving to my 84 190E Benz thats never had 1 issue except for its owner running out of gas.

Im looking at a Powerglide Trans and a 12Bolt Possi or Corvette rear end. im a pretty good welder, so making the mounts and supports sould be fine. its all the wiring of everything thats going to be the challenge.

thanks for the info and will keep up to date when we can.

Kenny

Old 12-14-2004, 08:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Well, if it's the same year engine or newer you could possibly do it, but why go through the expense and hassle. Not to mention California has the strictest emmisions laws in the entire country. Even if it could be done, you'd never drive it on the street again, unless maybe you moved to a state with no inspections?
If it was me I'd sell the 454, and modify the 4.6. Heads, supercharger, intake, exhaust, etc...... Or better yet, buy an old beater Chevy pickup, and build a wicked sleeper, hehe.,,,,98

Old 12-14-2004, 09:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put the engine and trans from a 1973 chevy into my 1964 ford pick up years ago but there were no electronic components involved. Nearly all things involved in the swap were mechanical fabrication related and pretty straight forward. The truck originally had a 262 Y-block that was nice but being a young punk at the time I blew it up. I already had the chevy donor car but didnt have much cash so I used what I had available.

I got motor mounts and a crossmember years ago from a company called Transdapt ................ I'm surprised that they are still around.

Do what you want with your truck cuz you're the one who will drive it. BTW, the 64 Ford with the 350/350 was a really smooth and powerful truck with all the benefits of the GM interchangeability in engine trans combos. My $.02

Good luck.

Last edited by LE PEW; 12-14-2004 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:02 AM
Add these to the list:
cooling system
additional coolers
accessories (AC, PS, Alt.)
exhaust
front springs
driveshaft
rear brakes
ABS brakes
emergency brake
rear springs/mounts
rear wheels
the electrical nightmare

This isn't a common question, but go to the Lightning section and ask around about/search for the "ONE" guy who installed a 460 in his Lightning. He's done some of what you're looking to do.

Old 12-14-2004, 10:07 AM
Where is the challenge in the wiring? The only things to wire are the starter, the distributor, alternator, and the neutral safety switch. Mybe an a/c compressor. The wiring would be the easiest part of the swap.

Old 12-14-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by vegasman
Hi Jim, glad to see someone thats willing to help with the details. Its deffinetely not my daily driver. Just something to smoke the Rice Burners around town on the weekends and pull my toys as well. Its got a 7in lift with 35's on it. So it sould be fun to see the look on their faces when a offroad truck is leaving them in the dust.

I leave my daily driving to my 84 190E Benz thats never had 1 issue except for its owner running out of gas.

Im looking at a Powerglide Trans and a 12Bolt Possi or Corvette rear end. im a pretty good welder, so making the mounts and supports sould be fine. its all the wiring of everything thats going to be the challenge.

thanks for the info and will keep up to date when we can.

Kenny
For the love of god dont ruin the project by using a crappy rear end. You'd have to spend a ***** load of money to upgrade your 12bolt to save it from 35's killing it. 12bolt is the 2nd crappiest rear end ever made, right behind the GM 10bolt. Go ahead and find a 14bolt FF. They are plenty strong without having to modify it. Not sure what transfer case you plan on running. I would assume not the factory Ford one. Since you're running a 4x4 I would get something else besides a PG. The first gear ratio in the transmission is horrible and you would have to really gear the crap out of your truck. Find a TH400/NP205 set up. Those would be plenty strong. As far as front axles, find a Dana60 front or at least a Dana44 3/4 ton.

Old 12-14-2004, 11:02 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Exclamation

You can do this if you want to but, there is one thing you haven't even considered.

The propeller is going to gouge the asphalt.
They're going to be able to track you down and you'll be in big trouble!

Quick Reply: Bye-bye 4.6 & Hello 454 Bbc !!!!!!!!